What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Sim VS and Arcade, ghost mode?

Llewelyn

Kinda wonder what was the point having the ability to turn off ghost mode in Arcade. Surely that's the pint of Sim VS? It even says it in the descriptions: in Arcade it says cars can't hit you (which is wrong in may rooms with ghost mode off) and in Sim VS it says cars can hit you so drive better, or word to that effect.

One thing I've noticed, in Arcade-ghost-off, is it starts to resemble either a demolition derby or Nascar, where shoving people into the wall is apparently a legit tactic if they're trying to pass you in a faster car. Blocking is one thing, when you're in front of another car and some races even have restrictions on that. Deliberately side-swiping a car while it's passing is against the rules in many classes of racing.

So I suggest that Arcade should lose that ghost-off button, so ghost is always on. If people want contact, they can go to Sim VS or there could maybe b e a specific mode for no-holds-barred racing where physical contact is part of the game.

because some of us enjoy the arcade physics and race clean. You shouldn't impose your own sim elitist attitude onto others. Not everyone in arcade drives like asshats and not everyone is sim is a pro racing god. You will find asshats in both modes. ALL racing games have rammers. ALL modes have rammers. As long as toxic people exist who are sore losers rammers will be a thing. the only reason you find it less in sim is because hard to see a lot of rammers when there are only 3 people in a mode. Your post was purely negative and offered no real criticism. Just bitching because you were rammed. Which I get it, being rammed sucks. But it happens in racing games so you just sort of have to learn how to deal with them or only stay in ghost on rooms. As for the description of arcade and sim who knows how old those are. Those are likely from a beta stage back in the mid 2000's lol. take stuff like that with a grain of salt as the game is still being worked on and updated. the old dev team couldn't program their way out of a paper bag so its taking a lot of work for the small team of 2 to get things corrected here.

I think you're missing my point some, I wasn't bitching because i was rammed (or not entirely) and I wasn't really criticising the game, more the way you see such as multiple rooms to farm wangan for XP, with ghost off. What's that all about? If you're just there to farm points, might as well have ghost on then nobody gets rammed and everybody makes as much as possible. The impression from the game and from when I played it back ten or more years ago, was that sim VS was supposed to be a sort of Pro mode, where stuff was more realistic - and tellingly, most people don't use it as you point out. As such, there shouldn't be any need for ghost mode in it really, people playing in that mode ought to be good or get reported and banned, as for example happens in iRacing - which is much more realistic physics-wise, but is a much newer game. Personally I never noticed much difference in the physics between arcade and sim, although I admit to mostly playing in arcade 'cos that's where the players are.

Oh there is a big difference between the physics in each mode. in arcade every car even fwd is floaty and drifts on every turn with exception to 2 cars. harpoon and quadro. In sim many more cars understeer and feel more true to life even though it is still more simcade than a true sim experience. since this games original run in 2007 many more sim racing games have come along with much better sim physics. This I believe is the reason why sim is ignored. and yeah a lot of people race on wangan but it makes no sense to me. personally I am anti-wangan. I believe the track should be removed until an good solution for balancing its payout with other tracks can be found. Force people to play the game as intended. the wangan rooms and class 1 and class 8 rooms are why I have taken a hiatus. I am not high enough level for maxed out class 8 cars so in class 8 rooms I will always be last, class 1 has gotten boring af. and I despise wangan because people farm it to death. meanwhile I own every other car between and have them all maxed out and can't find a single person who ever wants to race them. So I gave up on trying to play for now. When invictus finally hands over the debadged licensed car models so that there is more selection in the game, which I figure is the reason people don't use the middle class cars, I will come back and play more myself. but to get back to your point. its not about what people tend to do, its about having the option there if you want it. So what if no one ever uses an option is it hurting the game to have it as an option? no. which is why it is a thing. why try to go through this mess of coding to attempt to remove something that isn't causing a problem and by removing it could fuck up any number of other things in the game because invictus coding is that bad. Instead of the 2 devs we have working on this right now worrying about such a unimportant thing I'd rather they focus on getting the game back up to where it was before with all the cars and maps as well as fixing all the screwed up bullshit that the shitty invictus coding caused.

I agree about Wangan, 100%. It's really not needed. If you want easy farming, then you can use any of the long city tour maps and still have an actual race. Do 5 or even 10 laps, learn the track and see your time improve while you make XP :) None of those tracks is that hard to master, even I can get reasonable times :D But rarely get many takers for a city tour XP/RP race, even in class 1 or 2, so I end up doing wnagan anyhow just to get my levels up :(

Even without the debadged licensed cars, there's still quite a lot of cars coming to middle classes.
It's all a matter of waiting at this point.
I will most definitely agree that Wangan on VS should absolutely be nerfed. We have the Drag Wangan for grinding.

With that said, on topic of the Ghost mode thing, Ghost mode has seen a lot of changes throughout the years. At some point, Ghost mode became an item, which meant that it wasn't a room thing anymore and whoever wanted to race clean could do so. It was unfair because you had stuff like drafting and all the goodies, and you also had no contact.
Ghost mode I think was indeed, at some point, Arcade exclusive. Because Arcade mode was the "for fun" mode, the casual mode if you will, and Sim was where the big boys gathered.
Of course, ghost mode should stay as an option for all gamemodes (except the ones where drafting and contact is needed)