What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Expanding car classes

I originally pitched this idea in Discord, but it was suggested to me to post it properly here on the forum so, copy paste.

I understand that modeling new cars is time and effort, a lot of time and effort, and I'd imagine that no one would complain about expanding classes a bit, so what about cars having the ability to be re-classed? Similar to LASR, where if you fully modify a car you can do a series challenges to upgrade to a wide-body model of said car, but instead you could pay maybe price + mods to bump into the class above, giving the car better performance. Might take some work but, would probably be less work than creating a new car entirely, just put the car's performance on par (in it's own way) of the class it bumps up to, with maybe a slight name change and model tweaks (EX, Hexan GT, bumps into class 3, becomes Hexan GTS, model now has wider fenders, wider wheels, maybe a slightly more aggressive factory aero package, performance increases wholesale, can be a complete upgrade package or up-gradable from a base?)

Edit : There are some further ideas over in the "ideas" channel of discord that are worth the read by several people. I'd recommend scrolling up a little.

Last edited:
I like that idea,but cars wouldnt need any remodeling though. I know it sounds stupid but I would love to see every car being upgradeable to higher classes. Say,a maxxed Corus being able to compete with stock or light tuned Spiedos and Morellos,for example. But it would mean an rework in all vehicles stats and thats a no-end work. Also,I feel like the bigger part of players wouldnt aprove this.

I like that idea,but cars wouldnt need any remodeling though. I know it sounds stupid but I would love to see every car being upgradeable to higher classes. Say,a maxxed Corus being able to compete with stock or light tuned Spiedos and Morellos,for example. But it would mean an rework in all vehicles stats and thats a no-end work. Also,I feel like the bigger part of players wouldnt aprove this.
There's already enough sci-fi stuff, especially with Sim VS, so we don't need more sc-fi, we need the current sci-fi fixed. For instance, IRL there's no way a 160 HP FWD car to win against a 250 HP 4WD car on whatever track, let alone against a 300 HP 4WD jeep, even when both are stock. But that's possible only on PT Sim VS, as I keep seeing since the closed beta started. Only here a Lion/Wizz/S3 can overtake and win against fully tuned Quadro (4WD) or C-Racer because both drift too much in Sim VS which isn't realistic at all. The 4WD cars here have only a good launch from the start but that's it. A stock Wizz can go through the needle corner on Spaghetti #2 with 75-80 kph, whereas a fully tuned Quadro can't do that with more than 60 kph which is absurd. On Heat Online (the version where they introduced free roaming in a city) that was fixed - the Quadro was stable when cornering, took corners with the same speed as FWD cars did but when the straight stretch came, no FWD or RWD had a chance, unless it was a higher class than Quadro.
So there's enough sci-fi already and a Corus S3 overtaking a Morello is a bit too much, considering Morello's top speed is 378 kph. Even Drift City had major differences between different classes and that game had nothing to do with realism at all...

There's already enough sci-fi stuff, especially with Sim VS, so we don't need more sc-fi, we need the current sci-fi fixed. For instance, IRL there's no way a 160 HP FWD car to win against a 250 HP 4WD car on whatever track, let alone against a 300 HP 4WD jeep, even when both are stock. But that's possible only on PT Sim VS, as I keep seeing since the closed beta started. Only here a Lion/Wizz/S3 can overtake and win against fully tuned Quadro (4WD) or C-Racer because both drift too much in Sim VS which isn't realistic at all. The 4WD cars here have only a good launch from the start but that's it. A stock Wizz can go through the needle corner on Spaghetti #2 with 75-80 kph, whereas a fully tuned Quadro can't do that with more than 60 kph which is absurd. On Heat Online (the version where they introduced free roaming in a city) that was fixed - the Quadro was stable when cornering, took corners with the same speed as FWD cars did but when the straight stretch came, no FWD or RWD had a chance, unless it was a higher class than Quadro.
So there's enough sci-fi already and a Corus S3 overtaking a Morello is a bit too much, considering Morello's top speed is 378 kph. Even Drift City had major differences between different classes and that game had nothing to do with realism at all...
Dont worry sir,this is just my fantasy mind talking for itself,its not like that idea had any chances to happen anyway.

well the suggestion I had added to build on what karma had suggest was that instead having a hexan for example, when you fully upgrade it you unlock a class 3 "Tuner" version called Hexan GTS that is even with other class 3 cars. then when you max that car out you unlock a Class 4 or 5 WGT version of the hexan. that would be on par with street class 4 or 5. it would be a different model and a separate car. This would add a feel of progression with your favorite car. It would also be an easy way to increase the number of cars in game by adding these variations to the cars already in game. for example said hexan gts would have a wide body kit and be riced out like something from NFSU2, hence the "tuner" class which would be new. I feel like it would be easier to alter existing models to make new cars instead of creating new ones from scratch.

well the suggestion I had added to build on what karma had suggest was that instead having a hexan for example, when you fully upgrade it you unlock a class 3 "Tuner" version called Hexan GTS that is even with other class 3 cars. then when you max that car out you unlock a Class 4 or 5 WGT version of the hexan. that would be on par with street class 4 or 5. it would be a different model and a separate car. This would add a feel of progression with your favorite car. It would also be an easy way to increase the number of cars in game by adding these variations to the cars already in game. for example said hexan gts would have a wide body kit and be riced out like something from NFSU2, hence the "tuner" class which would be new. I feel like it would be easier to alter existing models to make new cars instead of creating new ones from scratch.
This is a good idea considering we already have some WGT racing models in the game if I recall,there was Wizz,Corus,Miata... These models should be used as an "class upgrade" for those cars,better than leaving them extremely rare and barely used like they were before.

exactly. make it a tier system for the cars. and we could do it for pretty much every car in the game. and it would easily double the number of cars available in each class so that we had a more diverse field of cars for each class.