What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

N2O, Cast Your Votes & Opinions

What do you think about modifying N2O ?

• Yes, Add this new system.

• Yes, But replace it whit a NFS styled N20

• No, Remove the N2O system.

Results are only viewable after voting.

DJ_Edyo

Some of you may be aware of it, Jack and I had an interesting conversation last week about the N20 System.
I saw that we both had the interest to not keep the N20 system as it was like in original PT, since we are also aiming to get a game into a real F2P and not P2W as it was before.

But when talking about the system in question, we encountered a disagreement, which was, how are we going to fix this for the best?

At first, jack submitted the idea that he was tempted to replace the current N2O system whit a NFS styled N2O system (the kind who recharges on its own)
But on my end, i was thinking that the actual N2O system wasn't that bad neither in-game, it was just P2W, it was a feature that made PT what PT is.
So knowing that, i told myself: its maybe not ok to simply replace or remove it, because we all know, a good thing to have about Project Torque is to have personal and in-dept customization over our cars right ?

That's where i came whit this idea, a crazy idea that might not just please Jack, but also all of our players here:

This New N2O system.
it would be based on the fact that it would no more be a trunk item, but now a level unlocked item, that you can equip/un-equip in the upgrade section of the garage instead.
This idea would not Introduce only a time refiled bottle, but a new array of different bottles, whit each its unique attributes depending on your playstyle.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16BXITbJCWXPNhBtT3FV__cK0offf3zfM6qtdhWpdgKE/edit?usp=sharing
chrome_X5g6BaKRvp.png
This would also have the following restrictions:
-A Balancing between them would be made to not make any of them OP.
-Thunder Alley: No Nitrous would be allowed
-A selectable game room option to turn N20 ON/OFF.

Let me know if you think this idea would be too crazy or if it would be logical to add it to PT, your opinion matters ! ^^

Last edited:
I am a fan of the mew system, although I would like to put some restrictions on the modes.

Thunder Alley: No Nitrous
Sim Versus, Challenge, and Drag: Original, Sequential, and Boost Kicker only.
All Other Modes: Unrestricted.

A room option for "Nitrous Permitted" would be nice. I would possibly argue that lap times with Nitrous be invalidated from the leaderboards. (Room must be no-nitrous), but that is just my personal preference.

maybe have an option to limit a room to just 1 type of nos as well? Like for people who think it refilling at all is bs but still want nos be able to lock the room to only allow boost and sequential

Original or Time Filling (1, 3) are fine for me.

The others (2, 4, 5) - I'm strongly against it. Then better remove it at all (which is also fine for me)

I think nitrous is something that doesn't need to be complicated.
NFS style is as simple and intuitive as it gets. Full bottle at the start and refills slowly with distance and bonus. Make it an upgrade like ECU or Engine with levels that increase the bottle capacity.
I haven't made my mind on if the power it gives should also increase with the N20 level or not.

I'm not against this system, but I do have to point out a couple of caveats. The multiple fill styles, while interesting, would probably just confuse the playerbase. Keeping them all fairly balanced would also likely be a chore as whichever is strongest or most exploitable from a gameplay/leaderboard perspective is very likely to become dominant, rendering at least a few of the other options obsolete. While freedom of choice is usually good, at the end of the day if it comes down to "which advantage is the strongest option" then people aren't going to care about anything but that strongest option.

One other thing: If the new system is implemented, it'd be nice to have custom restrictions available in lobbies, to not only turn off nitrous but disable certain bottle types from use. So if someone wanted to strictly run an "Original/Kicker Only" lobby, they can do that.

I voted "No" because the NOS system developed by Invictus was useless - you got flaming exhaust pipes when the NOS was used but there was no performance change on the car, so to me NOS is useless. If the current developers can make it work like it's supposed to, then my vote would be "Yes".

I personally don't like self-recharging nitro, that's too arcade for my taste.
But the regular nitro (1 bottle per race), especially in dragrace for example would be very nice to have.
I would suggest to have nitro upgrades of 4 stages in shop and garage (just like engine, ECU etc).

When it comes to tuning (maybe for future), it's usually nitro power vs nitro duration (a slider that you can balance it).

I'm agree with Tourettes.
I also against refilling. But only one, two, three or four can be used up like NFS Heat style. It can be seen stacked up nitro bottles in the Nitrous system, in each upgrades I-II-III-IV
In the room master can set limit nitro used up "1-4" or "none".

I can go with either of the systems, but if I had to pick it'll be the new one.
I think it'll put more realism into the gaming experience of Project Torque.
Also adding restrictions to each will be fair too.

For me is a nice "NO" for the NOS. Race for me will always be those that you win with true driving skills instead of having a better sense of nitrous use. In real life N20 results in some small boost in low rpms but in arcade/simcade games they are always pretty much decisive and I really dont like this.

While i'm okay with changes, it seems like introducing the changes in a tiered system would cause gameplay unfairness concerns IMO.

I said Yes, add it, but i also do not agree with a self-charging bottle as some players would get an advantage if i were to choose "DRIVING SKILL" or "TIME FILLING" ones, the other 3 are already filled. I would agree if you enabled them to be bought entirely by user decision and without level restrictions so it get's a little less complicated, just like a balancing item.

I'd personally make it a very simple system:

• NOS becomes a Purchasable performance upgrade (Like ECU, Chassis upgrades, etc.) purchasable with RP
  • Like any part, it has Stages (I, II, III, IV)
  • Each stage improves overall performance and duration.
  • You can adjust the setting towards power/duration with a balancing kit.
  • It can only be used once every race.
  • It can be turned off in room options.
The benefit to the old system would be that anyone can purchase it, so it's not P2W.