What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

xinput & directinput observations

skan

After testing PT with various controllers, it is clear that XINPUT and PT do not currently see eye to eye. This is no fault of PT or anyone involved in it's prior or current development. PT was created before most of the controllers and wheels and accessories we are using. This is the reason (or at least the main reason) why xbox and xbox related controllers do not function as intended.

This all came about two nights ago. Using a cheap rock candy xbox 360 controller is ok but I wanted more. The triggers share an axis which PT does not like, therefore you can only press one at a time and actually get a response. That means no breakstands, no gymkana, nothing flashy for the highlight reel. To "fix" this, my wheel was the first option but it is overkill in my opinion. It works just fine in PT which was not surprising. I did not test the separate shifter as I do not normally use it. The wheel is a g29. It uses directinput.

I then got the idea to just buy a new controller instead. I figured that a better xbox type of controller might be a better version of the cheap rock candy thing. The Wolverine controller is something I've wanted for a while and this was a good enough excuse to see it in action. Plugged it in and while it works in PT, it is crazy sensitive. The sticks are already light and sensitive as it is. Changing the linearity in PT helps this greatly but I'll explain why that is a slight problem later in this wall of text. The triggers have their own axis and yet pressing both does not work. This is a good controller and all but useless in PT at the moment. The reason why.... XINPUT.

Today I received a PS4 controller. Unlike my wheel, it does not work correctly. The triggers are reversed as in they have to be let go to accelerate or let go to brake. While this is hilarious it is obviously not going to get me best lap time. I suspect this is happening because it is not an OEM PlayStation 4 controller.

Setting the PS4 or the Wolverine controller up in steam itself (its in steam settings) is of no use. It makes the controllers lose the trigger's gradual acceleration or braking and turns it into an on or off button. It makes the sticks too unresponsive. Almost a complete lack of sensitivity. All the while the rock candy controller is not at all enabled as anything in the steam settings and it works accept for the shared axis thing.

These are observations. As for how to fix it, I am not sure there is a problem to fix. If it is even possible to add native XINPUT support, is the time and effort really worth the return? We all already enjoy PT without it. There may come a time where someone is forced to do this because there are no longer older controllers around but until then it's probably not even a small deal, let alone a big one.

Explaination from a few lines before this...
Here is why changing the linearity in PT for that specific controller is a bad idea in my opinion. That controller is made so you get the drop on your target. The buttons and triggers and sticks will react as fast as you. Always. Since PT sees controllers as keyboards, changing the linearity of the steering is changing the steering speed. It would be like having power steering in a dragster. The reason the steering speed changes is because of the change in the path from steering start to steering finish. It becomes a curve instead of a straight line. Terrible explanation.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone. Stay safe.

PS.. if you can get your hands on the original xbox controller, those work perfect for some reason or at least they used to but that was back when we all had windows 7. If I hit eighty eight miles an hour in the forklift maybe I can go....

Edit. 3am or so...... The Snakebyte (spelling?) PS4 controller works fine on the win7 machine here. Don't ask why I have it, that is for a different post. Win 7 had no idea what the wolverine is. I also forgot to mention that this whole time a nintendo switch (hori pro or something like that) works but does not allow for the triggers to be used as anything but a soft on and off button. ITs either all or nothing. Maybe that's how the switch controllers are supposed to be? I do not use the switch nor do we have any driving games for it to see if that's the intended behavior.

conclusion... I'm sticking to my el cheapo controller for PT.

Last edited:
I use a DS3 controller and it works fine.
I've tested with a DS4 too, and it works mighty fine too.
I've even tested with a Wiimote and it works fine.

My Amiga 1200's Competition Pro joystick also works.

Probably something wrong with your setup op

I want to see the joystick in action.
I would use the Wiimote, if there was analog gas and brakes.