What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Windows 11

I succeeded to install Windows 11.
CPU: i7-6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M3

I had to alter some BIOS entries like secure boot.
As I had the old A.60 BIOS, TPM has not been working but after flashing the newest BIOS, I have been able to make a clean install with a bootable usb stick.
Despite the fact that the CPU is not supported it is working well and starting up and shutting down faster.

Project Torque is running as well.

I succeeded to install Windows 11.
CPU: i7-6700K
Mainboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M3

I had to alter some BIOS entries like secure boot.
As I had the old A.60 BIOS, TPM has not been working but after flashing the newest BIOS, I have been able to make a clean install with a bootable usb stick.
Despite the fact that the CPU is not supported it is working well and starting up and shutting down faster.

Project Torque is running as well.
Well, as long as your OS works fine, it's cool. The requirement for W11 went very picky this time thanks to the definite requirement of TPM 2.0 M$ really wants the people to stay in the latest technology.
Right now, as a Ryzen 1500X user, I don't plan to get into W11 despite the fact that it is "not supported". Either I'll survive until W10 dies, or maybe I move to Linux.

Linux, in general, is always known as having great performance in old hardware. Now that the Windows games slowly coming to support Linux either natural or emulator, one makes you think that leave the Windows and use Linux.

Forget about everything you heard about requirements for Windows 11.

I installed Windows 11 on a Xiaomi Mi Pad 2.
CPU: Intel Atom x5-Z8500 1.44GHz
RAM: 2GB
HDD: 64GB

To overcome the minimum requirements you have to make a clean install from usb stick.
First you make a bootable Windows 11 installation usb stick with rufus and the windows 11 iso file.
Then you take the Windows 10 iso file and you copy the whole folder "sources" except one file "install.esd" to the folder "sources" on the Windows 11 installation usb stick.
When asked you select "overwrite all files".
So you are skipping the minimum requirements check with replacing the windows 11 files with the ones from windows 10.

To boot from that stick you have to disable "secure boot" in your BIOS.

The real hard problem comes with the OOBE. When you install Windows 11 Home there is no way to skip the network page.
This tablet has the problem that the wifi driver is not working at the first time you fire it up.
So I don't have an explanation how I get back this page. The suggestion with ALT+F4 wasn't working so I made a brute force attempt by simply randomly pressing any keys.
Tablet booted again and I skipped OOBE.

Lots of drivers had to be installed and now I will check if it works better than with Windows 10.

Yeah... well, requirements are just applicable for the non-tech-savvy people. More experienced ones can ignore that and run it, no matter if the config is lower than the requirments. As for me, even though there is still a way to run W11 while skipping requirements, I don't really intend to use W11 (even though it's better than 10).
I'll just wait for, at least, like 4-5 years and use it when the time comes. For now, I'll stick with the custom W10 I am using (Ghostspectre)

Even an old legacy BIOS is no problem.

Yesterday I installed Win11 with following components:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz overclocked to 4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3 a really really old motherboard

This time you have to go the other way round because the old legaycy BIOS cannot handle the GPT filesystem the Windows 11 installation stick is using.
You get a message that this stick is only bootable from an UEFI-BIOS.
You cannot create an installation stick using the media creation tool because this formats your stick with FAT32 and the installation file for Win11 bigger than 4GB.

So you have to format your usb drive with NTFS.
Download the Win10 iso file with media creation tool.
Open the Win10 iso file with a tool like "AnyBurn" and remove from folder "sources" the files "appraiserres.dll" and "install.esd".
Open the Win11 iso file and take the files "appraiserres.dll" and "install.wim".
Rename "install.wim" to "install.esd".
Add "appraiserres.dll" and "install.wim" to the folder "sources" in the Win10 iso file with AnyBurn.
Save the iso file.
Create a bootable usb stick with this hybrid Windows installation iso file.

First time I tried to install it on this old system I thought it wouldn't work.
Windows logo popped up very shortly and then the only thing you could see was a blinking cursor in the left upper corner of the screen.
So I aborted.
Next I checked with an old system with biostar H61MGV3.
Windows logo - blinking cursor and after about 20sec the installation screen was provided.
Next system with an old P5 board - blinking cursor and after about 1min installation screen.
So I got back to the GA-EP35-DS3 system and after some 5-10min :D the screen changed to blue and now you had to wait for next screen everytime a few minutes.
I thought at this stage that it was a really really bad thing to try to install Win11 on such an old system but I changed my mind back.

Win11 is booting and shutting down much faster than the old Win10 before.
Every single driver has been implemented by Win11 itself.
Everything is working - PT of course too.

Yeah... It would be rude to say "Why are you going that far?", but I guess I could applaud your bravery for making 11 work in older BIOS. Not even joking at all.

Even an old legacy BIOS is no problem.

Yesterday I installed Win11 with following components:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz overclocked to 4GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3 a really really old motherboard

This time you have to go the other way round because the old legaycy BIOS cannot handle the GPT filesystem the Windows 11 installation stick is using.
You get a message that this stick is only bootable from an UEFI-BIOS.
You cannot create an installation stick using the media creation tool because this formats your stick with FAT32 and the installation file for Win11 bigger than 4GB.

So you have to format your usb drive with NTFS.
Download the Win10 iso file with media creation tool.
Open the Win10 iso file with a tool like "AnyBurn" and remove from folder "sources" the files "appraiserres.dll" and "install.esd".
Open the Win11 iso file and take the files "appraiserres.dll" and "install.wim".
Rename "install.wim" to "install.esd".
Add "appraiserres.dll" and "install.wim" to the folder "sources" in the Win10 iso file with AnyBurn.
Save the iso file.
Create a bootable usb stick with this hybrid Windows installation iso file.

First time I tried to install it on this old system I thought it wouldn't work.
Windows logo popped up very shortly and then the only thing you could see was a blinking cursor in the left upper corner of the screen.
So I aborted.
Next I checked with an old system with biostar H61MGV3.
Windows logo - blinking cursor and after about 20sec the installation screen was provided.
Next system with an old P5 board - blinking cursor and after about 1min installation screen.
So I got back to the GA-EP35-DS3 system and after some 5-10min :D the screen changed to blue and now you had to wait for next screen everytime a few minutes.
I thought at this stage that it was a really really bad thing to try to install Win11 on such an old system but I changed my mind back.

Win11 is booting and shutting down much faster than the old Win10 before.
Every single driver has been implemented by Win11 itself.
Everything is working - PT of course too.
I'm still worried about Windows 11, I don't know y!? I have Win 11, but I don't have time to INSTALL it and I'm working on my lAP and I'm afraid that it will disrupt my work!! I want to download it to see the new opthions in it and at the same time I'm afraid because all my work is on my device:unsure:

Yeah... It would be rude to say "Why are you going that far?", but I guess I could applaud your bravery for making 11 work in older BIOS. Not even joking at all.
The answer is very easy - it is just for fun and playing around seeing what is possible.
No applause needed - nothing came from myself, I just searched the internet for provided solutions and applied them.
The adjective "brave" cannot be applied to someone lazy sitting in his chair fooling around. :D

The answer is very easy - it is just for fun and playing around seeing what is possible.
No applause needed - nothing came from myself, I just searched the internet for provided solutions and applied them.
The adjective "brave" cannot be applied to someone lazy sitting in his chair fooling around. :D
Sorry, it's just what I tried to say that not many people would go ahead and install Win11 on older systems, that's what I called "bravery" at there 😄