What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Why are class 1 cars so unbalanced?

The quadro out of the box, for me anyway, sucks. Now I've got it maxed out and found a handling balance I like, it's feeling much better on, say, city tour #2. Looks to me that it's based on an Audi, likely the A4, which in the real world are noted for superb grip and stable handling, so quite how it's so twitchy stock in game I don't know. I kinda like the Hexen, again, once maxed - but really, it's too big and heavy for anything but really fast tracks.

actually it is an audi but not an a4. its an Audi R2 Coupe, google it and its nearly identical. Also the Quadro has a higher top speed and faster accel than the hexan so even on the really fast tracks it beats the hexan.

Oh yes, forgot about the RS2. Also, I note considerable differences in handling between practice mode and arcade mode, so I kind of assume that practice mode uses sim physics? In particular, the speeds are higher in arcade. I happened to do a bunch of test laps getting it tuned how I wanted and then right after went on to arcade race, the difference was "interesting", the car handles actually less well. Yet to run it in sim VS after getting it upgraded fully. I also have the impression that in arcade, cars that are not in 1st place get a speed boost, anyone verify that?

Yes Arcade has catch up. So it isn't that practice arcade and arcade are any different as far as physics but in an actual vs race you will get a speed boost the further behind you are. It doesn't make the cars handle any better I don't think just makes them go faster. so whenever someone wants to set a wr on a track they wait and let the field get a lap or 2 ahead and then they go. it will give them a huge speed boost and able to set times not possible in practice. Sim to my knowledge does not have catch up. Even with this speed boost the Corus and hexan still typically lose no matter the track, which is a sign of balancing issues, and they are known. its on the list of things to look into.

I think the handling is just a function of the higher speed - you get used to a certain corner being, let's say, flat in 4th and then while in catch-up the car is going faster, so you have less grip.

right. you have to adjust to compensate. turn in sooner, brake more. etc. so the catch up can to a lesser skilled driver actually be a hindrance if they are used to practice mode.

I would like to see the catch up in Arcade removed given that the physics are designed so as to allow for easier handling with controllers and keyboards removal of catch up would focus on ability to drive well .

I would like to see the catch up in Arcade removed given that the physics are designed so as to allow for easier handling with controllers and keyboards removal of catch up would focus on ability to drive well .

I think this ist not going to happen since arcade is more focused on casual racing style. If you want to have skill based racing you need to drive in sim mode where only one mistake can ruin the entire race for you.

I don't see it happening because it is arcade. As was stated before, Arcade is designed for the more casual player where as sim was made to be the try hard mode. 99% of all arcade racing games have catch up. NFS, GTA 5, etc etc. maybe an option to toggle it on and off like in GTA 5. However I imagine most would still leave it on. However I am always a fan of having everything as a toggle option to encourage doing different types of gameplay to keep things from getting boring.

I think this ist not going to happen since arcade is more focused on casual racing style. If you want to have skill based racing you need to drive in sim mode where only one mistake can ruin the entire race for you.
I do drive Sim however removing catch up in Arcade is still something I would like to see . Oh well just my opinion having been around this game since it's beginning years ago. A toogle to turn it off would be ok .

Dont get me wrong on this, i am Sim driver too and would prefer racing without that catch up in arcade. But it was this way back in the old game and i think it will stay like this

I wasn't always that way in the old game . I can remember the controversy it stirred up when Catch Up was added to Arcade .

The quadro out of the box, for me anyway, sucks. Now I've got it maxed out and found a handling balance I like, it's feeling much better on, say, city tour #2. Looks to me that it's based on an Audi, likely the A4, which in the real world are noted for superb grip and stable handling, so quite how it's so twitchy stock in game I don't know. I kinda like the Hexen, again, once maxed - but really, it's too big and heavy for anything but really fast tracks.
What did you apply for balance on your Quadro?