What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Thunder Ally controls

thats kinda funny/wierd... i got the 90 degrees steering (i remembered that from before the re-release ) and i have my liniar steering to ZERO... BECAUSE IT SEEMS SMOOTHER THERE. but i just opened my dead zone up just a bit.. about the width of the slider button. and it totally changes the feel

i've tried the liniear steering all up and down the slider.... do you really think its better at full ?? ... hmm , ill try full again now that i have the deadzone somewhat comfortable.

T Y

i know this but i want to change the movement on the control to response in game ratio ...... if that makes sense....... my controller hits 100% response (in game / looking at the control page) before it hits 70% movement on the actual controller thumbstick ... i want that 70% to go to 100%
Post automatically merged:

its the controller im trying to change not the game
there is possible make that you can simulate wheel as keyboard for make it work 100%, but it's not really a wheel anymore
, i will not tell you exact steps how todo but if you want develop that self then you can start look at here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/multimedia/joysticks

i have an off brand PS3 controller and i have my game settings as good as im going to get them but...... i cant seem to desensitize the steering ... just a little movement on the stick and its to much in game. So my question is.... is there a GOOD free program that has some better adjustment settings that is compatible with this came ?? and where can i get it.

Thank you.

I'm playing on an xbox one controller and had the same problem. I've had to fiddle with the settings for a bit to desensitize the steering and got it where i find it balanced right now.

Try the following:

wheel steering range : 90 degrees (don't think it affects controllers , but wtv...just in case)
dead zone : MAX
nonlinear steering: MIN

Let me know how it goes. Curious to see if these settings work on all controllers.

lmao the wheel steering range does effect controllers as a joystick and a wheel are both analog based.

the deadzone and nonlinear steering are completely backwards from what you want on a controller.

lmao the wheel steering range does effect controllers as a joystick and a wheel are both analog based.

the deadzone and nonlinear steering are completely backwards from what you want on a controller.

Well thanks for confirming that the wheel steering range does effect controllers too. The settings in the game aren't exactly clearly detailed ...

For the controller however, if i understand correctly from what you're saying the settings for a wheel would be "MIN" for dead zone and "MAX" linearity .Which makes sense.
So as I've mentioned the settings I've proposed seem to work perfectly on the Xbox controller, as in the car's steering isn't overly sensitive and twitchy which is what freak458's issue is/was with the off brand PS3 controller.

right. that was the solution I found. I'm also on an xbox controller, actual name brand. the issue wasn't his controller, he needed to set the steering range to 90 degrees. that was the change that made the most difference in the sensitivity and oversteering of cars in TA. also adjusting it should help make cars feel more grippy in arcade.

Setting an higher deadzone will make it even worse because you will lose the smoothness of the first joysticks values, instead youll be getting fast movements - full turn. i used xbox controller before and it was the best i tried so far. now i have a generic controller and it is still good but requires a lot of precision on my thumbs because it is kinda sensitive and cheap so..

first.... my steering range HAS ALWAYS BEEN 90 degrees ... this is something that i was doing 12 years ago when i played.
second ,..... i've tried all the suggestions you all have posted and the only change i've made is i VERY slight adjustment to widen the deadzone... and that was a personal preference change.

and please dont take this wrong but you guys are hijacking my post from looking for 3rd party program to opinion based changes that dont really help me. THESE OPINIONS MAY HELP SOME NEW PLAYERS AND ITS VERY HELPFUL FOR THEM AND I AND THEY THANK YOU FOR THIS BUT it is not the info i posted for.

i played this game when it was out 12/15 years ago and it had the very same problem i got by it because one of my clan mates gave me a program that allowed more adjustability... and that toned down ALL the issues and i and others were able to drive like we were using a wheel ....... but 15 years and several P.C.'s later i dont have that program , people have gone and memories and fogged nobody remembers the name of it.

the program i used had a programable curve to tweek the sensitivity and movement ratio of the sticks....... as i posted before if i moved the stick 70% to a side it would regester 100% in game... i was able to tweek that to a 1 to 1 ratio instaid of 7 to 10 ... so 100% would be reached at the same time (on the stick and in the game ) making the turn so much smoother and easier to control.

Last edited:
90 steer part of issue. use any program you want outside PT. Never will help much.
Many people asking what wheel i'm using. Using 17 year old controller. Just like Iracing, be luck people give you top 3 setup.
Settings below only one's affects controller. Adjust for use with Controller, any style. Did put them in order should be adjusting them.

Key board assist (do not go over 60)
dead zone ( Slows first response time down as you start to tilt joystick.) Only moving the stick 15% with my setup.
wheel range ( 90 livenport, sunbay, and junk 140-290 ) find zone works for you
Linear ( This helps car not pull down on Turns. So as road starts to tilt for turn, car will keep its course till you turn.) using this above 57% solo times 2). Running under 15% solo faster

sunbay good track to practice setups.
Practice 30 Laps
1) 100:250 Setup getting close
2) 59:700 Nailed setup. Work on Line
3) 59:450 solo running beast.

Guys, I don’t know if this will help you, but I used the x360se program at one time. In it you can configure the axis.
There is also a program dxtweak