What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Thunder Alley connection Issues

Dome

Hello guys,

as mentioned in discord, the game mode has really big lag problems.
I live in Germany and a speedtest is attached.

1. Many Users have the problem
2. Rooms crash while racing, u get kicked into the login screen
3. Lag issues in the race, the cars going under the street or into the viewers

Like it get worse with the open beta release

Any suggestions?

Any idea how to fix this?

It seems to be a server issue.

Please comment here if u have the same issue and upload your speedtest aswell. Maybe the location aswell.

Greetings
Dome

Attachments

• 8690238990.png
    8690238990.png
    21 KB · Views: 5
Same here for me. Also posted in discord already :

TA was a big lagging prob today. It didnt matter if 6 ppl race with good connection (same guys from closed Beta and there were no probs) or 13 ppl. All was fucked up. So something changed today to yesterday and the days before. Have some screens in Desktop. Post them tomorrow if I have time. ;)
To sum up, same probs like Dome.

Looks like you, guys, are in dire need of a new ISP. :LOL: I live in Bulgaria and this is my connection (the maximum is 50 Mbps for connections outside of Bulgaria) to London, where Jack said the EU server was. Ever since the game started on Steam I never had a single problem with TA or any other mode. I was never kicked out or disconnected. Except for the cases where the server was being shut down by Jack but that doesn't count as a problem.

EveqOea.png

I keep trying to tell people the game is peer to peer and lag is caused by peoples shitty connections. but no one listens. this is an online racing game. you have to have a good connection. Playing PT on a slow connection is like playing an first person shooter locked at 30fps. its a bad idea unless you enjoy losing.

I have played a few dozen TA games over the past month and not had a problem with connection.
A few people do bounce around though because of their own.

I play all times of day too with Europe, Asia and North American players so it is not that I am connecting to people near me all the time.

I have played a few dozen TA games over the past month and not had a problem with connection.
A few people do bounce around though because of their own.

I play all times of day too with Europe, Asia and North American players so it is not that I am connecting to people near me all the time.
i can confirm this.. i was playing lot of TA (in fact its my fav mod and i usually play TA and only sometime few other races in another mod)
im from CZ and lot ofdrivers was from Germany some from italy i think.. and some from spain, if i remember that corectly
and all was ok

if ppl bounce, then its because issue is on their side, with their internet

I keep trying to tell people the game is peer to peer and lag is caused by peoples shitty connections. but no one listens. this is an online racing game. you have to have a good connection. Playing PT on a slow connection is like playing an first person shooter locked at 30fps. its a bad idea unless you enjoy losing.
It's not peer to peer. This term suggests we're all connected to each other without the participation of a server. Much like the multiplayer of NFS 4 where the user's computer serves as a host and others connect to it over TCP/IP.

But PT has a server and a client, therefore it's not peer-to-peer, it's a "client-to-server network":

PT-clients.png

It's not peer to peer. This term suggests we're all connected to each other without the participation of a server. Much like the multiplayer of NFS 4 where the user's computer serves as a host and others connect to it over TCP/IP.

But PT has a server and a client, therefore it's not peer-to-peer, it's a "client-to-server network":

PT-clients.png

Clients do in fact connect to each other over P2P.
The server is also connected to each client to monitor the race, check for hacks and reward users with XP and RP.
If users are unable to connect via P2P, the server acts as a proxy. This is mainly when the user is behind a firewall, router with strict or no uPnP or a controlled network such as public WiFi, school or work (in some cases).

Clients do in fact connect to each other over P2P.
The server is also connected to each client to monitor the race, check for hacks and reward users with XP and RP.
If users are unable to connect via P2P, the server acts as a proxy. This is mainly when the user is behind a firewall, router with strict or no uPnP or a controlled network such as public WiFi, school or work (in some cases).
But you can't creat/join a room and play unless the server is running, therefore whether you'll be able play or not - you're entirely dependent on the server, so to me this is nothing but a client-to-server network. Otherwise I'd be able to create a room of my own without connecting to the game server, others would connect to me and the game wouldn't have died.

But you can't creat/join a room and play unless the server is running, therefore whether you'll be able play or not - you're entirely dependent on the server, so to me this is nothing but a client-to-server network. Otherwise I'd be able to create a room of my own without connecting to the game server, others would connect to me and the game wouldn't have died.
trust me.. or better.. trust Jack.. i think he must know how it works, when he make this PT rebirth :)
then "probably" he must have knowledge about it ;-)

So u are telling me we all have bad internet connection?

So PT is a special thing?

All mulitplayer game work fine for me? And PT does not?

Try to explain me this.

At 2013 a few people had good internet connection. Like Nobody had 50 Mbits/s. And it worked.

I'm sure if u ignore this problem u can burry this game.

Why don't u take us for real and try to solve the problem?

2 days ago u said urself we have some lags on europe server?

Greetings
Dome

The game server manages all those things but a actual races are P2P.
The Crew and Call of Duty MW2 (on PC) for example do the same. You can't play this games without their servers online but they use P2P racing and matches.
Post automatically merged:

So u are telling me we all have bad internet connection?

So PT is a special thing?

All mulitplayer game work fine for me? And PT does not?

Try to explain me this.

At 2013 a few people had good internet connection. Like Nobody had 50 Mbits/s. And it worked.

I'm sure if u ignore this problem u can burry this game.

Why don't u take us for real and try to solve the problem?

2 days ago u said urself we have some lags on europe server?

Greetings
Dome
Idk if this is directed at me or not but I'll presume it is.

We are aware that there are many users with connection issues and we need to work on how client side conmicates with other clients to help address this issue.

We are not doubting that there are netcode issues, the game is from 2006 so we know in todays modern Internet and expectations from users that this should not be a problem.

All I have stated is that the game is P2P and that means there are issues for some due to their own Internet connection, isp routing, latency and router/firewall.

It is hard to run diagnostics when we are not on your connection.

Last edited:
The game server manages all those things but a actual races are P2P.
The Crew and Call of Duty MW2 (on PC) for example do the same. You can't play this games without their servers online but they use P2P racing and matches.
Post automatically merged:

Idk if this is directed at me or not but I'll presume it is.

We are aware that there are many users with connection issues and we need to work on how client side conmicates with other clients to help address this issue.

We are not doubting that there are netcode issues, the game is from 2006 so we know in todays modern Internet and expectations from users that this should not be a problem.

All I have stated is that the game is P2P and that means there are issues for some due to their own Internet connection, isp routing, latency and router/firewall.

It is hard to run diagnostics when we are not on your connection.

okay thats something i wanted to hear.

Thanks alot for this huge information.

So how can i help to fix the problem?

Greetings

Dome

btw: just for sure..
wetalk about latency..
and ye, in 2019 lot of ppl have issues with latency (i was working for internet provider few years.. its just real)
u need know, here can be problem in between you and server / other players
if u google command "tracert" it can help u a bit know what im talking about.. and at end.. it can help u check issues on your side
it work like "better" ping ;-)

and ofc, this game is old and have still few issues here and there
netcode is old
but.. on other hand lot of issues are already well knowed.. like this one with jumping cars when someone have bad latency

when u will have again this issue, u can try tracert to some server what is in the same city like PT server, and tracert to some server in city where are ppl who play with you
if u here will see some high numbers, then u will know where

and u can use ping -t and look for losing packets, it can be another issue