What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Steam Deck support, it worked.. For a bit

Jack

Administrator
Staff member
NOTE, this has stopped working for me.

I will post screenshots tomorrow once my Type-C to HDMI arrives....

Well, Gabe was meant to send me a dev kit but it did not show up. It must have gotten lost in the mail or something...

Anyway, I finally got my hands on the Deck today and had a blast and got PT working in like 20 mins.
I would say "not sure why people were having trouble getting it to work on Linux" but I knew what to look for before I even started so I get it.

I am running the latest version of the SteamOS and Proton as of writing this (not experimental) and the game runs great.
No font issues, no lag, no frame drops etc.
The only issue has been it takes 15-20 seconds to load. But I expect that this is the "emulation" layer starting up rather than just this game.
User input is a bit of a pain as the game was not made for use without a mouse and keyboard but it is more than useable once you set up everything.

First, install the game as normal.
You are then going to go to the Desktop mode and open Discover. This is an app library similar to Windows Store.
Search for Protontricks, install it and then open it.

It can take a few mins to get going so only double click on it once. You will get a few errors pop up saying stuff about installing 32bit stuff on 64bit but you can just OK all of these errors.

Once you get to the main UI. Click on Project Torque in the list and hit OK. Then after a few seconds another window will pop up. Just hit OK again.
Then tick "Install a Windows DLL or component" and click OK at the bottom right.

You are going to select the following 3 packages to install.
  • d3dx9_36 - Microsoft Directx 9.0c
  • dotnet35sp1 - .Net 3.5 Service Pack 1
  • mfc90 - Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Click OK and wait. You will get multiple popups over the next 10 mins giving warnings, errors and completed messages.
The last one to install is the Redistributable and this has its own installer window that you will need to agree to the EULA and let install.
Again this will take a few mins.
Once done, the main window for Protontricks (wine tricks) will pop up. You can now close this window and return to Steam.

You will want to change the controller settings. You can do this by clicking the controller icon in the Project Torque game page.
Change the layout to Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad.
Click edit layout and set the following.
  • Buttons > Menu Button (left) - Take Screenshot (optional)
  • Buttons > Menu Button (right) - Keyboard ESC
  • Trackpads > Right Trackpad - Left Mouse Click
This is the bare minimum and I will probably create a full custom profile soon and share it with the community.

You can now play the game.
It can take up to 30 seconds to start. I presume this is the Proton layer doing stuff being the scenes? It is trying to pull cloud saves but does not work right now for me.

Once in-game, log in. Use the right pad or use touch to select text boxes.
You can touch pretty much touch everything but I found the accuracy of the Steam Deck not to be that great. At least with a cheap screen protector installed. your mileage may vary.

Go to options and under VIDEO, change the video aspect ratio to 16:10 and the resolution to 1280x800. This is the Steam Deck's native resolution.
1653353569860.jpeg
Now go to CONTROL settings and set all your controls. For me, these work great. But you might want to change them to your preference.
1653353574423.jpeg
Click or tap APPLY and you are good to race with your Steam Deck.
This method should work for normal desktops also, but I have not tried it on desktop yet.
1653353610189.jpeg

Last edited:
Update!

I have got the game running on my Steam Deck. You will need to include these DirectX 9 DLLs in the game directory next to ProjectTorque.exe
I will push these DLLs to the game soon.
You will also need to install .NET 3.5 as Mono does not like the obfuscation protection.

Looking into how to get this to work better as currently, installing .NET 3.5 does not work too well on the Steam Deck.
I can't get it to install at all with ProtonTricks since creating this thread.

The game runs quite well (without obfuscation) and I get a solid 85-90 FPS on Wangan with Proton 7, DXVK 1.1, and DXVK 2.0.
gamescope_2022-12-24_04-20-39.png

~100 FPS on other maps.
gamescope_2022-12-24_02-51-32.png

Attachments

• dxdx9.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
Yea, Proton doesn't seem to work at all for me. I am still using Wine via a script that someone created to get it working. And even that I had to modify since it was referencing the wrong directory for the system.reg file needed to make the game run. And in addition it crashes in these scenarios:
  • Switching between modes
  • Switching from garage to store or vice versa
  • Switching missions
  • After earning a reward (gift)
If you stay in one place it seems to work fine.

Here is the script I modified that at least launches the game and semi-playable on my Ubuntu 20.04 machine (attached)

Just copy it to the "/home/{username}/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Project Torque" folder. This script downloads necessary required libraries the first time you run it. Takes maybe 5 minutes for all of them to download/install (depending on your internet speeds and machine specs)...

In Steam:
  1. Go to your library > Project Torque
  2. Click Manage > Properties
  3. Under Launch options enter: ./run.py %command%
This all took my 3 days to figure out. But it was worth it since playing this game brings back memories from 2010 when I first played this game!

[EDIT]: Forgot to mention, you will need python3, winetricks, and wine installed for this to work!

Attachments

• run-pt.zip
    2 KB · Views: 16
Works for about 6 races and crashes then.

Linux Mint 21.1 "Vera" Cinnamon

Hardware:
Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO AX
i5-10400F
GeForce GTX 960

Installation:
1. sudo apt install steam
2. start steam - Library - Project Torque - Manage - Properties - Compatibility - check box "Force" - Proton Experimental
3. go back and install
4. sudo apt-get install wine64
5. sudo apt-get install winetricks
6. copy run.py to /home/oem/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Project Torque/
7. steam - Library - Project Torque - Manage - Properties at launch options enter: ./run.py %command%

Next tries with same result:

Hardware:
Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4
i5-12400F
GeForce GTX 1050TI

Hardware:
MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
Ryzen 5 3600
GeForce GTX 1650

Installation:
1. install Linux Mint 21.1 "Vera" Cinnamon
2. DONT select nvidia driver but do following steps (otherwise you get memory error at boot screen)
3. ubuntu-drivers devices
4. sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
5. reboot
6. sudo apt install steam
7. start steam - Library - Project Torque - Manage - Properties - Compatibility - check box "Force" - Proton Experimental
8. go back and install
9. sudo apt-get install wine
10. sudo apt-get install winetricks
11. copy run.py to /home/oem/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Project Torque/
12. steam - Library - Project Torque - Manage - Properties at launch options enter: ./run.py %command%

Last edited: