What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Spontaneous disconnections on TA

SPEEDER_BG

Every single time I play TA for more than 30 laps I get disconnected 10-15 laps before the end of the race. In this case - while going into pitbox at 45th lap (out of 60) = goodbye race, goodbye RP. 45 minutes driving in the wind. Thanks, Jack!
And before anyone says to check my connection, lemme tell you this: last night and 4 days before that I played on a private server of an MMORPG game for 10 hours straight each night. For these 10 hours there was NOT a single disconnection, despite that the server is in the United States. I've also played many, many hours on a private WoW server and there were absolutely no disconnections at all. ONLY PT server does that.

0C07pEw.jpg

So? The other game I mentioned above - External Perfect World is also Open Beta and yet its server doesn't disconnect me every 30 minutes. Its server is in USA and I play 10-12 hours non-stop and not disconnected whereas here on a server in London I get DCed every 30 minutes. Awesome... :LOL:

Rado you also need to remember this is being put together by fans in their free time after their real job. I am sure the other games you mentioned have full dev teams working on the game full time as their job so it is much easier for them to solve said issues. Realize that this is NOT a triple A title or even title being made by full time employees. It is no different than if you and a handful of friends tried to do your own game in your free time. Also I don't have these issues at all I can race for hours in the game and never disconnect. I have shitty USA internet trying to connect to london servers. I wouldn't say it is PT so much as your ISP doesn't agree with PT and obviously your ISP hates you.

The other game is also put together by fans because the faith of the official one is unclear. It seems this year's fashion is to revive good old games. :p

Still I've had no issues. It is more likely something to do with the isp and handling that amount of data for that length of time. racing games eat up more bandwidth than other mmos.

Maybe you're right. A friend of mine gave me an idea what to try and if it turned out he was right, I'll apologise to Jack. Sometimes I overreact, sometimes I'm overcritical but there's nothing I can do about it, that's just me.
Now I gotta find someone to race 45 laps (if available) on TA with me to test the theory.

Edit: My friend who administrates networks for a living told me to limit the number of packages that come through the internet (to turn on the DDoS protection, basically; by default only the UDP protection is enabled). He gave me a web address from his network (designed for DDoS settings testing) that he said it would open normally when I set the proper number of packets for the DDoS protection. After a few attempts with the numbers his website opened instantly, so I tried to play a whole hour of TA and oh, wonder - I did all the 60 laps without disconnection. So, according to my friend (his words) for whatever reason the game server sometimes sends more packets to my computer and when they exceed some kind of a limit integrated in the router, it cuts the connection for a few seconds which is was caused the disconnection. He thinks this might be some kind of a user check/test but since he doesn't know the game server, he can't be sure.

So, @Jack , I apologise for being such an @55hole on the matter! Really! It would never cross my mind the disconnection was caused by the router nor that the server could be throwing at me more packets than it should! o_O

Last edited:
ISP providers are dicks and throttle our connections here in the states for no damn reason other than they had a bad day. That and our infrastructure for the internet is outdated and pure shit. So those types of issues being an ISP issue aren't uncommon here. I've just got like the highest most unnecessary package ever from my provider so even when they do their bullshit it doesn't fuck with me.