What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Some suggestions from someone who knows a little bit

Marty_Kojima

Hello my friends. I played this game years ago when was named HEAT Online, Level R, and such. And this week I have been playing it again under the new development. All I can say it's a straight forward, fun game, simple but effective. But if you want this game to succeed, there's a LOT of work to be done.

Before starting, I want to present an example. Drift City is another game from 10 years ago or so. It's another racing MMO that bounces from owner to owner, failing every single year. The game was good and fun when came out in '99 or 2001 (I don't remember), and had lots of fans playing it. But the new developers just got the rights, published the game online and call it a day. Since 3 or 4 years ago, the game have been stable, no new owner, no new developers or shady unknown companies, and lots of players AND money. Why? Because the new owners updated it, and keep doing it. Every single month they add a new car, every single weekend there are events, and much more. So remember, in this era your game needs to have new content, almost on weekly basis, or it's done.

Well, I have lots to cover and probably will forget some points.

--CARS
Aside from the cars the devs want to bring back, this game needs a totally re-design Tier system, prices, performance (I can't stand a shitty Charger has more power and level than a Mustang) and of course, completely new cars that look more like the real counterparts. I don't really care if they are bootleg version of the real one, as long as they look good (take for example GTA V, all cars are replicas but they look nice).

--TUNING
Of course, the tuning system is all broken. Was already lagging behind back in the game launches compared to other racing games, it's not needed to tell you is completely OUTDATED but today's standards. Need rework, the option to add turbos or superchargers (and centrifugal superchargers if possible). Block work, cylinder head work, bigger cams, intakes, exhaust, ECU chips and mapping, timing, etc.
On the visual tuning... just scratch everything that already exists. There barely two or three visual parts that look good... on the entire shop for the entire cars! Needs new bodywork, updated wheels with the option of change the size, offset, adding camber and lips. Car height is a MUST, from slammed to off road, and such. Alphanumerical paint system, able to paint wheels and bodywork separated.
Interior is also a must, been able to change seats, dashboard, steering wheel, strip down the interior or adding a roll cage.
Vinyls should also be reworked. Add some of your designs if you like, but the real vinyls system should be of editable forms (like NFS likes to do) or directly import your own image and upload it (like other mmo games). Having to choose from 5 or 6 existed vinyls is outdated and useless.

--RACE TRACKS AND MODES
Most of the current race tracks and modes are good enough. But would be nice to upgrade some modes. For example Thunder Alley should have some kind of points system, "official" races of 60, 100 or even 200 laps like real life where you need to pay to race, once every weekend or something like that.
Wangan is a nice mode, but also needs work. Add more routes, bigger tracks, AND add NPC cars driving on the same track as you. Just a few are enough to recreate the thrill of the real wangan racing.
A "race" mode should be implemented, using the already existing race tracks (not street tracks), with also official events, points system, categories and such.
Some kind of "by day you race on the track and by night on the streets" type of game that it's so trendy these days.

--EXPLORER
Explorer is a joke. Period. You said earlier free roaming was a mess and it's not coming back. But all I can see is Explorer mode is basically a free roam mode. I'm sure you can get something from it.

--SIMULATION
It's nice already for everyone who likes it, but definitely not the "big gun" of this game. People play this game for fun, so Arcade mode is what most people will choose (and me). If I wanted a realistic driving game, I would just play Assetto Corsa or any other game. So, my suggestion is, don't bother with simulation, just leave it like that. Use your time on other things.

--DRAG
I still have been able to play this mode, nobody does it. Once there are some more cars I'm sure it will be fine.

--DRIFT
Yeah... is also good enough. Not amazing, but can't really thing of anything to improve it.

I will probably add more later. But this is the basics. You (the devs and new owners) need to work hard and update this game, otherwise it will be done in 6 months period. You're competing against triple AAA games like NFS Heat. I know, this is a free game and that one not, but that doesn't matter. In some months it will cost 15 euros (or gb, or usd) and people will prefer to spend a little bit of money and have a really good game. And it's hard for me to tell this, because I have modern NFS games, but that's the truth.

Hope you can keep going and do a good job with this game, that definitely HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL . All I can do is play it and spend some money on the shop, the rest is up to you.

You're competing against triple AAA games like NFS Heat.

PT is MMO Racing not Racing with multiplayer. Big difference.
I agree a lot of the game needs work, but at the same time, we brought back Project Torque so we could play Project Torque.
Other than fixing bugs, general graphical improvements and so on, we are not going to rework it from the ground up.
You are looking at a new game to do that.

Actually NFS Heat and this are not competing at all. This game is an MMO NFS Heat is Hot Garbage made by EA for people who enjoy cars that feel like they are on a rail the whole time. Also its a game that takes 30 hours to finish. MMO's take months to finish. Drift City also has a lot less going on graphically so updating that vs updating this, 2 completely different beasts. so both of your comparisons aren't really comparisons more like stretches for you to find something to complain about.

As for all of your "suggestions" more like demands... devs already have plans so please don't treat them like idiots who need your all knowing guidance to succeed. As a side note about this. the devs currently working on this game are doing so for free in their spare time. There are no full time devs being paid to work on this. So if you need some super fast update time you are playing the wrong game. Another thing to note. Unlike those other games you mentioned, this game's coding is a complete mess, there is a reason Invictus gave up on it years ago, so it is going to take awhile to sort that out and fix bugs let along get everything else done in your demands.

The modes you call "useless and not needed" are there to add variety to the game. The only game that even comes close to this game is Forza Horizon series and even it while graphically better... just not as fun and fails where this one succeeds. Free Roam will be returning as its own mode instead of a menu forced on everyone.

The car tiers and prices already have been redesigned. what you are seeing now is the improved game. it was much much much worse before. Now to fully upgrade a class 1 car and buy it is only 40k. before upgrades alone cost 180k. so yes... HUGE changes were made. Higher tier cars yes still take more however still far less than they did in the previous game. car price itself was increased but upgrades were dropped dramatically. This was done to create a better balance. TA has already been increased to 100 laps from the 30 it was limited to before.

Also a lot of the things you are asking for, just simply aren't possible with this game engine. This is a 15 year old game engine, that the new devs still do not fully understand. (TBH I don't think invictus even understood it and they made it) So slow your roll and lose the "these are my demands for this game to be good" because those are all just your opinions. Not a factual roadmap to making this game popular. For all you know your ideas could lead to it failing. So do some searches and you can see where things have been discussed already, and you should really avoid doing a long preachy post.... like you are some gaming god sent to save the poor devs who in your mind are too stupid to know what they are doing. I will be honest. You came off like a pompous asshole to me and so I have done my best to defend the devs who have enough shit from whiney criers.

PT is MMO Racing not Racing with multiplayer. Big difference.
I agree a lot of the game needs work, but at the same time, we brought back Project Torque so we could play Project Torque.
Other than fixing bugs, general graphical improvements and so on, we are not going to rework it from the ground up.
You are looking at a new game to do that.

Yes, they are different types of games, but target the same customers.
Of course not a completely new game from scratch, but I think some stuff can be integrated on the already existing game and engine.

And for you Khrono Fujiwara. Who do you thing you are? This game's guardian? I see you on every post bitching about everyone and been a douche. Been the snitcher of the Devs won't get you anywhere. I have nothing else to say to you.

Yes, they are different types of games, but target the same customers.
Of course not a completely new game from scratch, but I think some stuff can be integrated on the already existing game and engine.
A work in progress and as already mentioned in the FAQ's.

Your take on Sim is flawed if i'm being honest as Arcade has always been more populated and always will be for it's speed and simplicity.....The Sim in PT is half Arcade half Sim and works for a lot of PT fans and it is fun so no way is it " the big gun " lol. And that is why a lot of gamers like PT becuase it caters for a whole range of gamers. You have indeed ruffeld a few feathers here with your critic, some of your critic may i add- constructive while the other damn right rude and demanding .....

lol He called me a douche. That's a first. Normally its asshole, troll, dictator, etc. Even funnier that he thinks that would bother me. I said what I had to say. I don't take any of it back. To quote one of my favorite songs. "I don't give a fuck, God sent me to piss the world off!" XD I am still laughing at the dudes attitude. "Hey I'm Gaming Jesus, and let me tell YOU how you should fix your game to make it the most popular. No one knows gaming better than the Gaming Jesus, that's me. I've made 0 games and know nothing about game developing but I have all the answers anyway because I am the greatest thing to hit gaming ever."