What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Roadmap

Jack

Administrator
Staff member
As we have released the game the to wider public. I would like to share with you our plans going forward.
A lot of this is under the premise that the game does well on Steam (and any other platforms we decide to publish on) and is financially self-supporting.
And obviously general bugs and issues are on the list but should not have to list these here..

Our other two main priorities are as follows;

1. Add Steam Auth to the game client. WIP but delayed due to COVID-19

This will allow you, the user, to login without a username and password. No more signing up on this forum to play.​
This will help out a lot of users who have been having issues signing up due to emails not arriving or passwords not working.​
If we knew the game would have had this sort of reach this early into launch, we would have done this prior to launch.​

2. Optimize the backend database or deploy replication SQL Server. Not currently being worked on or planned.
Currently, due to backend database issues, we are unable to deploy the game servers in their geographic regions.​
This means the North America server is currently being hosted in Europe and not in America.​
This results in some lag issues for users playing in the US, Canada, etc​
Once this is fixed, we will be able to move the NA and SEA game servers from Europe to Chicago and Singapore.​
Other locations are being looked at for SA, the Middle East, and Australia, though demand at this time is not high enough to warrant the cost and ongoing maintenance.​

Staff
We currently only have a handful of people working on the game programming and server-side maintenance.
My time is limited due to work so moderation of the community will be passed onto a Community Manager.
We are also going to start offering Game Sage roles to outstanding members of the community who have shown a real passion for the game and have a great knowledge of the inner working of the game.
Those who moderated the game back in the day will also be offered roles.
We are at this time not looking to receive applications from anyone. Please do not send them, we ignore all applications for GS roles.

Looking forward to Q1 2020 and beyond.

We will be adding back in the rest of the cars that were removed due to licenses running out. WIP June

Ideally, we would re-license these cars (and we will try in January to do this) so that you can have the authentic experience.
To do this we need the player numbers to go up and this is something we will be working on via advertising the game once our main issues are sorted out.
If we are unable to obtain the licenses, we will add back in the modified versions that look similar but are not the branded cars.

We will also try to add back in the new maps from Level R and Heat Online that are currently missing. DONE
Hopefully, they don't need any work doing to them so we can just drop them into the game but we are unsure at this time why our build did not include them.
It could be that things changed in these later builds that made these maps incompatible with Project Torque Fiona build. We will see.

Improving the graphics is something we would love to do and hopefully, we are able to achieve this.
Currently, the game runs on DX8 and DX9. It is possible to upgrade to DX11 but this will take a lot of work and will probably not be worth it.
So what we want to do is push the DX9 engine that is there because we know it can do more than what it currently does.
The biggest thing is shadows in-game being crap even at the highest settings.
Native resolutions is something that also needs work.

Improving textures and UI.
I have already been playing with some of the UI elements and running them through waifu2x with great results.
Obviously this does not compare with having the original art assets and exporting those at a higher resolution so this is something that we will try and do if Invictus has these assets still available.
Textures are a little harder as they are mapped. This means we can't just double the pixel count and for it to work. But we do still want to work on this so we can add HD car textures for vinyls.

Adding more car vinyls and paints. WIP June >> https://community.projecttorque.racing/threads/more-paint-options-update-wip.1217/#post-7361
Along with the ability to show HD vinyls, we want to add a lot more customization to the game so cars feel more unique.
This means adding more vinyl to all the cars along with more paint options. With most cars getting the full rainbow along with some special model-specific colours.
Adding colour finishes is also something we would like to do such as adding a matte finish so you have a choice of matte or glossy.

Adding more maps and extending others.
While there are 100s of circuits to choose from in Project Torque, there are only a few dozen maps.
I feel like this game would do well to have more map choices that push the skill of the drivers a bit more.
I and many others love Wangan and Tanzawa but feel like they are too short. So these maps we would like to rework into longer versions.
Adding maps to this game is going to be very difficult without the map tools. Hopefully, we can get them from Invictus.

Adding back game modes and creating new ones.
Sumo and TeamCTF are two game modes added into the game quite late on. These should not be too hard to add back in.
I personally would like to see 2 new game modes added to Project Torque as I think it suits the game.
First being Rally. Off-road rally cars with time trial like gameplay with 2-5 stages of a difficult map with different road surfaces and terrains.
Second, being Circuit. Would like to see circuit cars and maybe even F1 style cars be re-introduced along with circuit tracks such as Silverstone, Donington, Nuremberg etc
Obviously Circuit is very much like TA. But I feel there is enough difference to have its own game mode as there are rule and maniacal differences.

Events
Level R had events and they did pretty well from what I hear. I never got to partake in them but I am guessing they were weekly challenges for rewards?
Combining in with Circuit racing a Rally, I could see weekly events happen around these and some other game modes such as fastest lap, the most amount of laps, etc.

Openworld
It has a bad rep with HeatOnline players but that is because of how it was implemented and due to bugs with the game at the time.
I would like Open World to return to PT as a mode in-game that allows 100s of players to connect to so they can socialize in a virtual world, show off their cars and doing some light racing around a map.

Multi-language support. WIP, Due June
I would like to add back the ability for players to switch in-game language so that the UI is in their native tongue.
This will require a launcher until an in-game option can be created.

There are a few other things I would like to see in-game but I think this is enough for now.
Like I said, this is all based on the premise that the game does well on Steam. Meaning we need to see lots of people playing, sharing and spending money on the game to make this viable.
Game development is not cheap. So far everyone has been working pro bono. But I would like to have a few people come on who can dedicate a few hours a week to the game.
Ideally, I would love to have a few people on full time who can work on the game code and adding new content.
But this is all down to you the players.

Please leave feedback below, and just that. If you want to discuss anything at length with others, go do it in another topic.

Last edited:
The too low max laps per race issue in VS mode is still pending. Is it not possible to ask Inivictus how to set it to a higher number if you don´t know how? It can´t be that complicated and must surely be a parameter in the config of each track.

Longer races will be more fun and also encourage people to buy doublers as right now it doesn´t make sense to use them in VS mode.

Yeah,more laps and NERF WANGAN...yes sure its a good track and all but its just being farmed af. And MUD Full circuit at 3 laps pays a lot less than "racing" in a long straight line... wangan has a higher difficulty bonus than MUD...why?? its just plain stupid. Wangan deserves only a 0% difficulty bonus or heck,even a negative bonus value... The farming needs to stop. Either raise the payout in all other tracks or nerf wangan,otherwise the next name of this gane could also be Wangan race simulator :D

Yeah,more laps and NERF WANGAN...yes sure its a good track and all but its just being farmed af. And MUD Full circuit at 3 laps pays a lot less than "racing" in a long straight line... wangan has a higher difficulty bonus than MUD...why?? its just plain stupid. Wangan deserves only a 0% difficulty bonus or heck,even a negative bonus value... The farming needs to stop. Either raise the payout in all other tracks or nerf wangan,otherwise the next name of this gane could also be Wangan race simulator :D
I said this to jack in PM
Nerf distance bonus hugely all round then use difficulty bonus to give harder tracks more payout

reads well at first

but I have to agree with the previous speakers so far besides the things that are obviously missing (vehicles, routes, biomes / enviroments) that the races on longer routes do not feel like races but after sprint mostly only one or a maximum of 2 laps are possible.

For my part, I think I would have more fun if I could do the longer distances more than one lap at a time in Tokyo and co. Without having to go to the menu

Well, I still can't play without VPN or port open (witch I don't have idea how to do). Later, i learned that this is not an issue on PT alone. In my experience with The Crew 2 and Five M, also had exactly the same problem. So I don't believe that changing the servers could solve my problems.

For the rest, I don't have nothing against to what is planned (maybe I would bring free roam before other modes due the appeal to bring people to the game), but from what I saw in the deadlines not achieved in the beta, I dont expect much. And that's ok as long as the quality of the game stays high as possible.

About the complains about farming: people will go where the jackpot is. Don't blame the players, it's the economy curve fault that think we are in 2000s decade where grinding was acceptable to maintain people's interest.

I lost my drift and wait farming already and almost have no interest of play anymore (even with outstanding tracks and physics).

idk why people would complain about high pay outs for playing, i mean that´s the best part!
And wangan is a good map anyway <3

Iam happy with these modifications and things to come, Only one question is when... :D I spent money (1000GP) and i will spend monthly this value if i see game is goes the right way forward because this is my all-time favourite game and free, so i dont care if i spend for this about 100$ because i need this game with good big community, with lot of cars, maps, modes, events without bugs-
So just go on the right way, i will help with some money if i have.

Roczombie the issue is wangan is the ONLY map with high payout. Which forces those who feel the need to grind and get to the top as fast as possible to only make wangan rooms. meaning those of us who want to play the game as it was intended and enjoy all the tracks struggle to get people who want to race. Wangan is a good map... if you want to go in a straight line and never have a challenge. Some of us want to do more than go in a straight line and we shouldn't be punished for it by getting less payout.

Nino, If you are expecting rapid updates getting the stuff from later builds you will be disappointed. The team working on this is like 5 people doing it in their spare time, after working their normal jobs and taking care of their families. Also a lot of the stuff from later builds are in invictus hell and the team are just waiting for invictus to take time from their shitty mobile games to give them the coding and models etc so these things can be added back into the game. The money will help yes. enough people spending money on it and they can hire people who can work on it full time. however that requires something to spend money on. so its going to be slow going here in the beginning, just don't lose hope and rage if it goes slower than you hope.

btw: wangan isn't the best way to farm. drift is a lot better for high payouts and at least needs a bit of skill to not crash the car.

You seem to miss the point of farming wangan. the people who are using it to farm are doing so because it requires no skill. So again why should we be punished with less payout for playing the game as intended instead of just doing 1 track over and over.

Ponits work by mileage rund and checkpoints....Wangan got both.
Thats all....So it works.
If the Kids mean grind is the only way to play, let them go.
So they dont disturb our clean driving (maybe the try of)
in other modes.

As we have released the game the to wider public. I would like to share with you our plans going forward.
A lot of this is under the premise that the game does well on Steam (any any other platforms we decide to publish on) and is financially self supporting.
And obviously general bugs and issues are on the list but should not have to list these here..

Our main goal right this second is to fix the issue where some users are unable to open the game due to the "Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll" fault.
We have been unable to fix this yet so please help us by replying to this topic with the info asked for in the thread.
https://community.projecttorque.racing/threads/unable-to-open-game.205/#post-1875

Our other two main priorities are as follows;

1. Add Steam Auth to the game client.

This will allow you, the user, to login without a username and password. No more signing up on this forum to play.​
This will help out a lot of users who have been having issues signing up due to emails not arriving or passwords not working.​
If we knew the game would have had this sort of reach this early into launch, we would have done this prior to launch.​

2. Optimise backend database or deploy replication SQL Server
Currently due to backend database issues, we are unable to deploy the game servers in their geographic regions.​
This means the North America server is currently being hosted in Europe and not in America.​
This results in some lag issues for users playing in the US, Canada etc​
Once this is fixed, we will be able to move the NA and SEA game servers from Europe to Chicago and Singapore.​
Other locations are being looked at for SA, Middle East and Australia, though demand at this time is not high enough to warrant the cost and ongoing maintenance.​

Staff
We currently only have a handful of people working on the game programming and server side maintenance.
My time is limited due to work so moderation of the community will be passed onto a Community Manager.
We are also going to start offering Game Sage roles to outstanding members of the community who have shown a real passion for the game and have a great knowledge of the inner working of the game.
Those who moderated the game back in the day will also be offered roles.
We are at this time not looking to receive applications from anyone. Please do not send them, we ignore all applications for GS roles.

Looking forward into Q1 2020 and beyond.

We will be adding back in the rest of the cars that were removed due to licences running out.

Ideally we would re-licence these cars (and we will try in January to do this) so that you can have the authentic experience.
To do this we need the player numbers to go up and this is something we will be working on via advertising the game once our main issues are sorted out.
If we are unable to obtain the licenses, we will add back in the modified versions that look similar but are not the branded cars.

We will also try to add back in the new maps from Level R and Heat Online that are currently missing.
Hopefully they don't need any work doing to them so we can just drop them into the game but we are unsure at this time why our build did not include them.
It could be that things changed in these later builds that made these maps incompatible with Project Torque Fiona build. We will see.

Improving the graphics is something we would love to do and hopefully we are able to achieve this.
Currently the game runs on DX8 and DX9. It is possible to upgrade to DX11 but this will take a lot of work and will probably not be worth it.
So what we want to do is push the DX9 engine that is there because we know it can do more than what it currently does.
Biggest thing is shadows in game being crap even at highest settings.
Native resolutions is something that also needs work.

Improving textures and UI.
I have already been playing with some of the UI elements and running them through waifu2x with great results.
Obviously this does not compare with having the original art assets and exporting those at a higher resolutions so this is something that we will try and do if Invctus has these assets still available.
Textures are a little harder as they are mapped. This means we can't just double the pixel count and for it to work. But we do still want to work on this so we can add HD car textures for vinyls.

Adding more car vinyls and paints.
Along with the ability to show HD vinyls, we want to add a lot more customisation to the game so cars feel more unique.
This means adding more vinyls to all the cars along with more paint options. With most cars getting the full rainbow along with some special model specific colours.
Adding colour finishes is also something we would like to do such as adding matte finish so you have a choice of matte or glossy.

Adding more maps and extending others.
While there are 100s of circuits to chose from in Project Torque, there are only a few dozen maps.
I feel like this game would do well to have more map choice that push the skill of the drivers a bit more.
Myself and many others love Wangan and Tanzawa but feel like they are too short. So these maps we would like to rework into longer versions.
Adding maps to this game is going to be very difficult without the map tools. Hopefully we can get them from Invictus.

Adding back game modes and creating new ones.
Sumo and TeamCTF are two game modes added into the game quite late on. These should not be too hard to add back in.
I personally would like to see 2 new game modes added to Project Torque as I think it suits the game.
First being Rally. Off road rally cars with time trial like game play with 2-5 stages of a difficult map with different road surfaces and terrains.
Second being Circuit. Would like to see circuit cars and maybe even F1 style cars be re-introduced along with circuit tracks such as Silverstone, Donington, Nuremberg etc
Obviously Circuit is very much like TA. But I feel there is enough difference to have its own game mode as there are rule and maniacal differences.

Events
Level R had events and they did pretty well from what I hear. I never got to partake in them but I am guessing they were weekly challenges for rewards?
Combining in with Circuit racing a Rally, I could see weekly events happen around these and some other game modes such as fastest lap, most amount of laps etc.

Openworld
It has bad rep with HeatOnline players but that is because of how it was implemented and due to bugs with the game at the time.
I would like Open World to return to PT as a mode in game that allows 100s of players to connect to so they can social in a virtual world, show off their cars and doing some light racing around a map.

There are a few other things I would like to see in game but I think this is enough for now.
Like I said, this is all based on the premise that the game does well on Steam. Meaning we need to see lots of people playing, sharing and spending money on the game to make this viable.
Game development is not cheap. So far everyone has been working pro bono. But I would like to have a few people come on who can dedicate a few hours a week to the game.
Ideally I would love to have a few people on full time who can work on the game code and adding new content.
But this is all down to you the players.

Please leave feedback bellow, and just that. If you want to discuss anything at length with others, go do it in another topic.
Openworld
It has bad rep with HeatOnline players but that is because of how it was implemented and due to bugs with the game at the time.
I would like Open World to return to PT as a mode in game that allows 100s of players to connect to so they can social in a virtual world, show off their cars and doing some light racing around a map.

Redrock and Trioval on TA was nice
but open world not

Panama GT, WGT coral, Intimidator, Dominator on Redrock !!! :D

I dont care too if we need to wait 1-or 2 month more from now just slowly goes on the right way, if small steps no problem, just must goes on right

You seem to miss the point of farming wangan. the people who are using it to farm are doing so because it requires no skill. So again why should we be punished with less payout for playing the game as intended instead of just doing 1 track over and over.
Wangan does require skill to draft and overtake at the right moment to win, especially with ghost and no catch up mode.

With ghost there is no draft. with ghost on, it is just whatever car has highest top speed so that is literally the definition of even less skill required. the car does all the work.

If you have ghost on, on wangan, class 1 only and you are driving a maxed out wizz and lose to anything other than another maxed out wizz. You should prolly just uninstall the game because you can't even win when its handed to you.