What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

More paint options update *WIP*

Jack

Administrator
Staff member
Work in Progress
For a while, we have been working on adding more colour options to the game, and recently (today) I managed to code in that option.
Soon you will be able to pick more colour options for your cars once the vehicle file rework is done.

Here is a quick preview of the changes made.

1591552259605.png
In the Shop and Garage, we now split off Paint and Styling into separate categories.
Under each are subcategories. As you can see there are now 7 options for Paints.

We have split everything into subcategories to make the UI easier as well as having a few code limitations that we have had to workaround.
  • Factory Colours - These are the stock colours that the cars come with. These are the colours you have been using since the start of the game and these won't change.
  • Special Colours - As the name suggests, special colours for cars. This is used when factory colours are limited, but a car was regularly re-painted to these colours.
  • Reds, Greens, Blues, Yellows/Oranges, Pinks/Purples - These are all shades of these primary colours from dark to light.
  • White to Black Shades - Greyscale from white to black.
Each subcategory has the ability to store up to 16 colours in each. This is a code limitation that has prevented us from adding all the colours into a single tab.
We plan on only doing 10 colours in each sub-category though as to not over complicate things. This might change depending on the feedback of the colour options offered.
Note that each page contains 10 slots in a 5 by 2 grid. Which is why we are doing 10 rather than 16.
This is still 60 new colour options plus any special colours added. So up to 70 new colours for each car in the game.
New total of 160 colours over 16 previously the max.

1591553019713.png
As car paints have gone into their own category, styling has moved over and Vinyls, Rims, Interiors, Steering Wheels and Race Numbers (TA only) have remained in there.

With this update, we can add more vinyl to the game. This allows us to accept more custom vinyls.
In total, we can accept up to 160 per car on top of the maximum of 48 already in the game.

I don't expect to update this part of the game till later in the year once all cars have been updated and new colours added to each car.

For pricing. Factory Colours and colour shades (Red though Black/White) will be inline with our current or future pricing model.
Special Colours will probably be GP only.
giphy (3).gif

Any previously bought car colours will remain in your inventories.
This update will just allow us to add more on top of the current offering.

Note that this is a lot of work that will require many hours of work to finish.
I will be bringing a few people on board to help with this. I will message these people directly. Do not apply for this.
If you want to help. Buy GP. It helps a lot and will allow me to pay these guys for their time.

I welcome feedback on this update in the comments below.
Please stay on topic!

What will special colours entail?

" Special Colours - As the name suggests, special colours for cars. This is used when factory colours are limited, but a car was regularly re-painted to these colours. "

As in, R33 came in 7 colours? But is painted in some quite specific aftermarket colours. This category is for those colours.

This is great. More customization is always great. I myself live for customizing all the things in all games. Now if only you could light a fire under the ass of invictus and get them to find the cars already.

" Special Colours - As the name suggests, special colours for cars. This is used when factory colours are limited, but a car was regularly re-painted to these colours. "

As in, R33 came in 7 colours? But is painted in some quite specific aftermarket colours. This category is for those colours.
So using the R33 as an example still, would a special colour be Midnight Purple?

Another thing I'd like to note is

All cars have a secondary shop colour option (examples: Corall with Khaki, Panama and Hexan with Black, Morello in a lime green). It would be nice to see those added in the Factory colours tab for each car respectively.

So using the R33 as an example still, would a special colour be Midnight Purple?
Maybe...

Another thing I'd like to note is

All cars have a secondary shop colour option (examples: Corall with Khaki, Panama and Hexan with Black, Morello in a lime green). It would be nice to see those added in the Factory colours tab for each car respectively.
I am trying to fix that issue atm. It is meant to give you the option to buy either but I would rather it just sell you the stock car with a single colour and then be able to by whatever factory paint you want.

With this update, we can add more vinyl to the game. This allows us to accept more custom vinyls.
In total, we can accept up to 160 per car on top of the maximum of 48 already in the game.
are you planning to add any user created vinyls?

I will be bringing a few people on board to help with this. I will message these people directly. Do not apply for this.
If you want to help. Buy GP. It helps a lot and will allow me to pay these guys for their time.
many offered their help for FREE and you said NO and now you wanna pay them...

are you planning to add any user created vinyls?

many offered their help for FREE and you said NO and now you wanna pay them...

Yes, user-submitted vinyls will be available in-game. Though they will go through committee review.

The rework processes is not as easy as letting anyone just have a go. It will require many hours of work to get all the cars done.
This work also includes adding cars that are not yet in the database.

I personally will have to vet each person that works on this as well as teach them the processes.
This means I am only going to give 1-2 people this job.
And for their time, I will reward them with in-game cash or real money.

I don't see what the issue is here...

PS, I have not said "no" to anyone. What I have said is that we need to work on a system that allows outside people (people outside of the core PT team) to be able to work on stuff without having to go through all the legal bullshit.

You will have to create thumbnails for every missing color. Did INVICTUS send the template for doing so? Each thumbnail has this sort of template with black gradient on left corner and vignette ?
or do you'll have to create your own?

You will have to create thumbnails for every missing color. Did INVICTUS send the template for doing so? Each thumbnail has this sort of template with black gradient on left corner and vignette ?
or do you'll have to create your own?
I have most of the primary colours already. Just going to tint them +/- 15% and 30% to get the right shade. As long as it is close enough it should be fine.

I see you've mentioned adding vinyls. Do you have all of the templates that go with the cars, or do they need to be extracted from the models? I've had a fair bit of experience with making and using vehicle templates, so when the time arises, I'll probably do up a few designs.

This may be for a later point in time, but when vinyl submissions do take place, I am guessing that it will be the standard rules, aka no real business/names allowed in vinyl designs?

But I do like the idea of adding colors to the cars, as some are very limited at this point. Thanks for the added work and customization options!

I see you've mentioned adding vinyls. Do you have all of the templates that go with the cars, or do they need to be extracted from the models? I've had a fair bit of experience with making and using vehicle templates, so when the time arises, I'll probably do up a few designs.

This may be for a later point in time, but when vinyl submissions do take place, I am guessing that it will be the standard rules, aka no real business/names allowed in vinyl designs?

But I do like the idea of adding colors to the cars, as some are very limited at this point. Thanks for the added work and customization options!

I have attached the toolkit so you can see what is required.
Hopefully, we can grab the wire.png files from Invictus but I suspect it won't be hard to generate them from the models.

Attachments

• Project_Torque_Toolkit.zip
    5.9 MB · Views: 16