What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Jumpy and jittery cars on track

Jack Spanner

While racing, the cars jumps and stutters left and right front and back and sometimes fall into the ground and pops back up.

That isn't a game issue. that is a connection issue. The game is peer to peer so 1 person with a slow connection or high ping will cause this to happen.

I am an old player since PT 2008, LevelR and Heat online. I am in Brazil so I normaly have a ping of 200ms to Europe or USA., but I have a fast fiber connection, so no jitter. Even so I used to play PT/LeveR/Heat ok because the game compensate the ping. But now I see a lot of players flying and ppl said I am flying too.

because it isn't only YOUR connection that matters. Because the game is p2p based, if someone else's connection is bad... well you've seen the results. everyone needs to have a good connection not just 1 person.

the servers only do so much. the game is p2p based so if you have a good connection but everyone else in your race room is running on dialup... well you are going to see teleporting and bouncing cars. As I said... it isn't only your connection. Think of the connecting and playing with others as like downloading a torrent file. the experience is only as fast as its slowest connection.

the servers only do so much. the game is p2p based so if you have a good connection but everyone else in your race room is running on dialup... well you are going to see teleporting and bouncing cars. As I said... it isn't only your connection. Think of the connecting and playing with others as like downloading a torrent file. the experience is only as fast as its slowest connection.
Then you have to check the connection from the players and if someone if going to have a jumpy experience because of his trash internet, then he shouldnt be able to play (because hes ruinning the experience for the rest).

It sounds bad, but its what is needed to keep a fair experience for everyone...

Well that won't ever be a thing. No MMO ever has done that because its bad business. If someone has slow internet they will load slow and you can vote to kick them while loading for the race. Or just go into a ghost mode lobby. There are solutions in game already for this issue. Just up to you to use them or not.

There should be bad ping checkers in every game, yes it’s not brilliant for the people with bad pings to a server, but if there’s 10 people in a race bouncing about disappearing and then the game decides they’ve crashed into you, then some players will decide to not bother or quit out of race

Yes it could be seen as unfair to the bad ping players, but when will it be fair to others that get affected by them

In a lot of fps games going back to delta force days, there were scripts or 3rd party progs that checked players for bad pings, and warned or kicked them

I know it might not be their fault, but it was also know that sometimes, some players would deliberately run background programs to alter internet speeds to change game outcomes

Not that that is 100% happening here, but there should at least be that when a player sets up his room to race that he has control over some setting like ping allowance to try to have a smooth race

Perhaps in time, something like this will be programmed in

There should be bad ping checkers in every game, yes it’s not brilliant for the people with bad pings to a server, but if there’s 10 people in a race bouncing about disappearing and then the game decides they’ve crashed into you, then some players will decide to not bother or quit out of race

Yes it could be seen as unfair to the bad ping players, but when will it be fair to others that get affected by them

In a lot of fps games going back to delta force days, there were scripts or 3rd party progs that checked players for bad pings, and warned or kicked them

I know it might not be their fault, but it was also know that sometimes, some players would deliberately run background programs to alter internet speeds to change game outcomes

Not that that is 100% happening here, but there should at least be that when a player sets up his room to race that he has control over some setting like ping allowance to try to have a smooth race

Perhaps in time, something like this will be programmed in

This is in the works, but it will show your connection to other users in the lobby not the server as the game is 99% P2P.

well then thats kind of half of whats needed, then its upto the other room members to choose if to kick