What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Game economy

I have to agree with Jack .... we getting our hands on higher class cars too early, can't say that about my self cuz i have to work and I don't play much but yeah I agree with Jack on this one.

I agree too. Upgrades should cost less and cars should either stay the same or go up (above class 5 the prices are ok except for Panama costing more than Morello).

Increasing the unlock level for classes 4-7 will also encourage people to drive and tune their lower level cars as they will have RP to burn while they wait to level up and unlock the better cars.

Once again though, I insist we need to have longer races in Vs mode from the get go as this will increase immersion and also RP payouts per race. Race length should not be level restricted as you want players of all levels in rooms to keep the game going. A low level room master with 1 lap races will not get anyone to play with except other noobs.

Indeed players level up to quickly in the 1-20 level, after that it's a sacrifice. I agree with the change in the car category unlock as it should be followed by needing a higher level for higher categories, i do not agree on doubling the car prices as that would imply a user to spend ages on upgrading cars if they had more than 3 or 4, unless they pay for xp/rp boost items which is also a good move but i would agree more if the price raise was something between 50% to 60%, not much more.

The payout needs to be changed, Simulation mode is well under paid compared to others as well as CTF/Explorer, even TA 15 laps get's you a low reward if you are under 2nd place +/- 900rp/xp.
Thank you.

Increasing the RP cost of lower cars would also make it more of an incentive to spend in game money to access those cars or to buy doublers.
I would also suggest bringing back the rental car system and putting more 3 day rent cars as mystery gifts so people can try out cars on their favourite tracks and modes before buying. That would make it easier to choose a car for new players who would have to pay more for cars than those who had early access.

I guess there will still be sporadic shop sales and RP bonus events to help people along.

About price changed, agreed that cars should't cost less than upgrades.

Beta has been online for a week and a half and already people are in the level 30s

Thoughts?

30s levels are players who playing "D&W", which imo is basically is abuse the scoring system. And if you'll take it as a reference, will start to balance system (payout in other modes and count speed of progression) based on it, then there will be no point to do proper racing in VS.

Tbh I don't care about pricing so much, for me more important methods to get money and lvl.

Last edited:
To simplify (as my original post was 10,000 words).
Yes, shop items and rewards are broken. We know this. We stated before crowdfund that these would change before release.
Levelling is somewhat on the hard side, see https://community.projecttorque.racing/threads/levelling-changes.87/#post-642

Race rewards, shop and levelling all tie into the economy of the game.

The issue people are having atm is that shop items cost too much as race payout is too little.

The race payout has not changed since early PT builds but some of the prices have. And at the current state, the shop is broken.
Car upgrades should not cost 4x the cost of the car.

My proposal is so.

Take the Class 1 stock cars for example.
They are 8,000 RP each low tier car.
We increase them to 20,000 RP.
Upgrades (28 in total) total the same cost as the car.
This means, a fully upgraded Class 1 car will cost 40,000 RP total.
Your first car is free. So the total cost, to get it upgraded is 20,000 RP.

We are estimating that 1 hour of race time gets you around 6,000-7,000 RP (based off Arcade racing finishing 3rd).
So you are looking at 3 hours to fully upgrade your first car.

Upgrade to class 2.

Hexan GT, current price is 16,000 RP.
We double it, 32,000 RP.
To buy this car, that is 5 hours of race time. Total time spent in Class 1 is 8 hours.
To upgrade to max, that is another 32,000 RP which is around 5 hours while in Class 2.

Total race time in game is 13 hours, you have Class 1 and Class 2 car fully upgraded.
You should be around level 16 by now.
In total, you have spent 84,000 RP on cars and upgrades.

This ignores any cosmetics. Obviously you love the game and will use GP on cosmetics. WONT YOU....

Later cars do cost more. Some of the class 8 cars are in the 200,000-250,000 range.
But you should see an XP/RP increase when playing at higher levels. So this change is no so

Another thing is Class unlocks. Should a level 15 have access to a car with a class of 4? Should a level 20 get class 5?
I think these need to stagger more especially as the current level curve, and even my suggested changes to said level curve, result in players once they reach level 20, very quickly unlock car from class 4 to class 5.

Beta has been online for a week and a half and already people are in the level 30s
I think class 3 should unlock at level 20, class 4 at 24, class 5 at 26 etc.
This does not include certain cars such as the drift cars, these should be made available at the lower levels.

Thoughts?
I kinda like this idea :D :D

You’re on the right track!

I am an early player and have lost my account a few times. Took me a lot of time and money. With me many others ..

Think it is more fun for both old and new players to level up quickly and get more rewards.

More chests with XP / RP / CP rewards make the game a lot more attractive? More temporary cars perhaps? (surprise effect)

Keep up to good work, much appreciated :)

Im agree with jack, but you should be selling the cosmetic part with real money and eliminate de power ups who make the game pay to win

My opinion is, that after such economic changes, game reset will be needed. I don't want to start from level 0, but I think it will be needed.

It's obvious that you have to change the unlock system depending on how you change the XP (/RP) rewards. But I think it would make sense to split the unlocks over the 100(?) levels, otherwise the level is useless after unlocking the highest class, except you would add some cosmetics that will be unlocked on high levels. But then the leveling system has to change too, because levelling is veeeeeery slow after level 25 (it took me a lot of time to reach level 25 from 24).

I dont agree on raising lvl to unlock higher class, will result on frustrating people and loosing possibles acquirers of CP

It's obvious that you have to change the unlock system depending on how you change the XP (/RP) rewards. But I think it would make sense to split the unlocks over the 100(?) levels, otherwise the level is useless after unlocking the highest class, except you would add some cosmetics that will be unlocked on high levels. But then the leveling system has to change too, because levelling is veeeeeery slow after level 25 (it took me a lot of time to reach level 25 from 24).
There are only 50 levels.

I was guilty of grinding/drifting for 12 hours on a Sunday back in the day for RP/XP to level up to get the next best car, i used poppers and race girls with gp/cp it was just a buzz, you need that chase element in any game for longevity, keeping the leveling high and some cars kinda out of reach will keep people coming back for more to get to the highest imo.

I dont agree on raising lvl to unlock higher class, will result on frustrating people and loosing possibles acquirers of CP
Any price rise has to be reasonable e.g. a class 4 Cobra now costing 44k should not go up to more than 60k and unlock at maybe level 22 - similar to current class 5 Stallion. The idea would be for people to use and tune class 1 and 2 cars before moving up as they will have RP to burn. If they want to go quicker then either buy the car with real money or buy XP doublers.

We currently have a 1 car class 3 so there should also be more cars in that class to give people another stepping stone.

Any price rise has to be reasonable e.g. a class 4 Cobra now costing 44k should not go up to more than 60k and unlock at maybe level 22 - similar to current class 5 Stallion. The idea would be for people to use and tune class 1 and 2 cars before moving up as they will have RP to burn. If they want to go quicker then either buy the car with real money or buy XP doublers.

We currently have a 1 car class 3 so there should also be more cars in that class to give people another stepping stone.
I was not talking about price, but about lvl to unlock cars, actually to buy Morello you have to be at least lvl 36 and 31 for Savage imo those lvl are high enough

My opinion is, that after such economic changes, game reset will be needed. I don't want to start from level 0, but I think it will be needed.
im agree with you, we are testers so they should go and make a masive restart to the acounts and test the new sistem from 0