What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

FreeRoaming as Level R

NGineus

At the end of life of Project torque I remember they switched to Level R that was the european server based version if I'm right, it's been a while now, and I remember that we had a freeroaming mode which was just awesome, any idea if this is going to be implemented or it can't just be implemented?

NO, that "freeroam" was pure shit. It had massive memory leaks, the coding for it was a mess and it forced the menu to be spread across a giant map forcing you to waste time driving from location to location to get any damn thing done. Jack has confirmed no that will not be back it will continue to burn as the giant dumpster fire it was. However later down the line there will be a free roam mode that will not be forced on anyone and be an iconless explorer that you can set time limits for and use the same maps used for explorer. This gives people the option to do freeroam but doesn't force it on them or spread the game options around a map just to waste time.

NO, that "freeroam" was pure shit. It had massive memory leaks, the coding for it was a mess and it forced the menu to be spread across a giant map forcing you to waste time driving from location to location to get any damn thing done. Jack has confirmed no that will not be back it will continue to burn as the giant dumpster fire it was. However later down the line there will be a free roam mode that will not be forced on anyone and be an iconless explorer that you can set time limits for and use the same maps used for explorer. This gives people the option to do freeroam but doesn't force it on them or spread the game options around a map just to waste time.
Ah... For me as kid looked the best thing in the world ever haha, well sounds fair then

the only game that has ever done the whole overworld freeroam thing properly is Forza Horizon series. Each entry there had decent sized maps, fast travel options, and lots to do and no invisible walls to keep you restricted to the road. Every other game that has that as a racing game is small, restricted, and just not that interesting. I'd much rather PT not try to compete with FH franchise and do its own thing.

At the end of life of Project torque I remember they switched to Level R that was the european server based version if I'm right, it's been a while now, and I remember that we had a freeroaming mode which was just awesome, any idea if this is going to be implemented or it can't just be implemented?
No. F%CK NO!!! If that sh%t ever returns many people will stop playing it - me included!

The freeroam was just a gimmick, and yes poor implemented. If you want to mess around and look at cars could always just use a ctf or explorer lobby for it :p

Deus, inform him there is a "free roam mode" that will be sort of like explorer. that city thing won't be back though. as for the reasons to give him. 1 massive memory leaks, 2 the coding for it is such a mess that it would take years to fix it. 3, having the menu options spread across a map is a pointless waste of time. for these 3 reasons, the free roam as it was in heat online won't be returning. Jack has agreed to do an iconless explorer mode that is time based as a free roam mode though. so that the free roam is optional and not forced on people.

I think it would be actually usefull and more fun for testing cars and balance changes without being forced to go on track.. I agree it was mainly pointless, but the whole concept of mmo with a sterile hub is not going to be appealing to many possible new players imo.
With that said i'm good, since i'm old school and i've played all of'em.

I think it would be actually usefull and more fun for testing cars and balance changes without being forced to go on track.. I agree it was mainly pointless, but the whole concept of mmo with a sterile hub is not going to be appealing to many possible new players imo.
With that said i'm good, since i'm old school and i've played all of'em.
It is only useful for testing balancer changes in arcade vs physics, which doesn't even matter much.

I really liked free roam and i didint noticed any issues. was alot fun just fool arround :) I hope it will be back in future :)