What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

COPS n' ROBBERS - HOW TO PLAY

Anxiety

COPS n’ ROBBERS

There have been frequent reports of serious crimes being committed in the streets of Project Torque. Drivers are being clocked at speeds upwards of 150mph in the canal. The entire city of California is at risk due to this reckless driving, and we need you to help put an end to this madness.

----------------------------

GOAL:
The cops need to capture all of the robbers by immobilizing them. When a robber becomes captured, they join the police force and become a cop. The game continues until all players are captured.

SET-UP:
Game mode: Explorer
Map: California Downtown (You can use any map you like. But generally, we have the most fun on Cali, due to the variety in routes to drive and places to hide. Tokyo would be #2.)
Cars: Subjective. Generally, it’s best when everyone is using identical or similarly classed cars. For the group I play with, sometimes we might have 1 player who wants to use a faster car, but agrees to start as the cop every round. It’s all up to the players involved at the time.
Players: The more, the better.

GENERAL RULES:
Try not to collect items. There are a lot of them in explorer, you WILL collect items whether it’s on purpose or not. Just don’t specifically aim for them. This is how we can extend the game to be however long we like. Obviously, when the item timer is running low, someone will need to collect an item.

That said, items are not forbidden. If you are being chased by a cop and you see a nitrous bottle, grab it! By all means. Do whatever it takes to escape. The same applies for cops.

The one exception is magnets. When you pick up a magnet, you’ll see a big blue force field around your car. This force will grab any items within the radius around your car. Whether you are a cop or a robber, you MUST stop moving as soon as you pick up a magnet.

As a robber, the magnet gives you temporary invulnerability. Cops are not allowed to ram robbers while they have a magnet. If they do, the robber is entitled to a free repair. When the magnet expires, and if the cop(s) in pursuit are still there waiting, the chase continues.

***Any free repairs MUST be agreed upon by both the cop(s) and the robber being chased. If a robber deliberately drives into a magnet and slams on the brakes with a fleet of cops behind them at full speed, they do NOT get a free repair***

ROBBER-SPECIFIC RULES:
Robbers are allowed to free roam the map however they like. They can drive in a circuit, they can find a hiding spot, they can try to interfere with the cops, etc.
BUT, as soon as a cop is in pursuit of a robber, that robber is not allowed to repair or rescue. Any damage you take going forward can and will be used against you. The only way the robber is able to repair, is if they successfully evade the cops, and are able to sit still for 10 full seconds. Or if a cop confirms that they have in fact lost the robber.

Of course, there are going to be exceptional situations. For example: When a robber is not being chased, and they decide to repair without realizing that a cop was right around the corner or zooming towards them on the straight. For these situations, generally the robber is free to drive on, and the pursuit will begin as normal. BUT, if the cop is lucky enough to drive directly through a robber’s ghost at ANY time, it is an instant-capture.

If a robber THINKS they’ve escaped a chase, and they stop to repair without waiting the full 10 seconds, and then the pursuing cop sees their ghost, that is an instant capture.

If a robber being chased rescues - under absolutely ANY circumstance (including if they just so happen to drive into a “?” item, which explodes their car over the map boundaries and causes them to get rescued,) then that is an instant capture. (We like to call them boom-boxes.)

That might not seem fair, but cops are exposed to the exact same risk. If they happen to get exploded off the map, the robber they were pursuing gets a free getaway. It’s rare, but it’s absolutely hilarious 100% of the time when it happens.

***After you are captured, a simple “I AM COP” in the chat box does wonders***

COP-SPECIFIC RULES:
Cops need to immobilize the robbers in order to capture them. This can be done by completely destroying the robbers’ car, to the point where they no longer have the ability to drive (which we like to refer to as “blacking out”). Alternatively, if the cops are able to flip a robber upside down, or pin them against a wall for 10 seconds, this counts as a capture.

Unlike robbers, the cops are free to repair or rescue as often as they like. So while it’s still entirely possible (and common) for robbers to escape the cops after a pursuit is initiated, this gives the cops a little advantage so that the rounds don’t take forever, and players don’t get bored waiting.

WINNING THE GAME:
As the police force grows, the chances of a robber escaping shrinks. But the last remaining robber is considered the winner. At this point, the entire police force dedicates full strength to capturing the remaining robber.

When said robber is captured, the players can simply let time run out to end the match, or start a new round where the winner (or a volunteer) is the first cop. The cop will sit idle for 30 seconds while the robbers scatter off around the map, and the game restarts from the beginning.

NOTES:
These rules are by no means set-in-stone. There are so many different ways to play Cops n’ Robbers, and the freedom of using explorer mode allows us to modify rules, or completely change the concept of the game as we please. See what works for you :)

That said, I play CNR with my crew almost every single day, and this is one specific rule set that everybody agrees makes for good fun for every single player involved.

You have someone with a slower car than the rest? Don’t force them to be the only cop right away unless they want to.

Are you an alien D1 level driver? We can all see your leaderboard times. No need to push the game on forever just because nobody can catch you. Keep it fun for everyone involved :)

Obviously, voice chat makes this game so much more fun, and allows for the cops and robbers to strategize against each other. Sometimes we’ll have one big room where we all talk together, and sometimes we’ll split up the cops and robbers accordingly. It’s fun to experiment.

Communication is obviously key in this game. It’s important to keep the chat box up to date on who all the current cops are.

And most importantly, just have fun!

Oh, and don’t let the COPS catch ya. ;)

Last edited:
Maybe it's possible to make a specific game mode out of this idea?

I've heard talks of a potential 'CNR' gamemode. And I'm on the fence as to whether or not I think would be a good idea.

On one hand, for players like me it would be a major downside losing some of the "features" we get by playing the game in Explorer mode:
1. the whole concept of having items and a game timer that allows us extend each match for as long as we desire.
2. the items in general. they are FUN. running away from cops just to see in your mirror that the cop chasing you ran into a "boom box" and is exploding up into the sky as you get a free getaway. Its hilarious, it makes my day every time it happens, and its such an insignificant part of the game but it brings people so much joy. And of course the nitro bottles, the grippy tyres, the upside down and shakey screens... None of these things really matter with the concept of CNR itself, yet they add an element of surprise and strategy to the game. If I had the option to play CNR in a dedicated mode or explorer, I'd choose explorer every single time.
3. At least in the current state of the game, I feel the last thing we need is another "wall" dividing different game modes and making it appear like there's even less rooms open.
4. This is just one of MANY ways we play CNR. We are free to modify the rules as we please, or completely change the entire game.

On the other hand, I see the benefit of having a dedicated mode to some (especially new) players:
1. Having a predetermined ruleset defined by the game allows anybody to simply jump in and experience the fun without any prior knowledge whatsoever.
2. Lets be real, 95% of people are going to be appalled by this giant wall of text and won't even bother reading it, even if they might have the time of their life in the actual CNR experience.
3. Lets be real again. Playing in explorer mode takes a great deal of trust. Its very easy to bend the rules and to full out cheat. There are likely going to be moments where players disagree about something, and it can potentially cause stress in something that is literally designed to relieve the stresses of the real world.
4. having a dedicated mode would eliminate the issue of players not being cooperative (ie. picking up all the items quickly).

That's my 2 cents.

Too funny. Cops & robbers are even on that map IRL. That whole area above 1st street is packed full of cops, robbers, & trains.

The California Downtown map is about 20 miles NW of me and the flood control ditch (canal) is called the Los Angeles river IRL.

PT_LA_Map01.jpg

Whoops. Mirrored not flipped and the 101/5 freeway is called First st. on the map

Last edited: