What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Car Setup guide? ( upgrades/perfomance parts )

Old-Skool

How a bout adding a how to guide for those who are new to the game, or not quite sure - as it can be frustrating as hell trying to get the right setup for each track type!?

Last edited:
Basically: Maximize your car's upgrades.
Start to use the balancers on your car in test drive mode to make the car handle how you like. (The short version here in this reply)

Grip: Absolute balance of grip of the car. The car will tend to understeer if you adjust it to R or R+, the opposite if you adjust it to F or F+.

Aero: A grip balancer that has no effect at very low speed and whose effect gradually increases at higher speed. Great for if you like a car to understeer a bit more at high speed and be very sharp at lower speed.

Acceleration: Just adjusts the car's final drive ratio. I would recommend going as close to T+ as possible without bogging off the line. Banging the rev limiter = no acceleration during that time. Some tracks it makes sense to run T+ only: Wangan and other tracks with long straightaways.

4WD: Adjusts the percentage of torque between the front and rear wheels. If the car understeers too much when you step on the gas, adjust it to R or R+. If you want it to naturally pull itself out of a skid, adjust it toward F or F+

Brake: adjusts the percentage of braking between the front and rear wheels. I recommend adjusting them as close to R+ as possible without locking up the back wheels. It splits the braking load more evenly leading to a smoother corner entry.

lol there is the difference between us Nos. I put the brake in f or f+, 4wd in r or r+, typically went A for accel, aero and grip both f or f+ my cars would drift so pretty around turns. moving the brake to the front allows for brake drifts which is what allows for the fast drifting.

I race, which is what my balancers are usually set for. Grip was usually neutral or F, Aero was R, 4WD was R, Brake was R+, accel was T or T+.

oh I race too. I just race with a oversteer instead of understeer. I hate cars that don't turn. but I love winning while still sliding the car around the turn.

oh I race too. I just race with a oversteer instead of understeer. I hate cars that don't turn. but I love winning while still sliding the car around the turn.
Oh, I don't really like understeer. I just aim for a neutral setup as much as possible, but I rather understeer while on the gas at high speed as it's easier to control than oversteer. Just let off the throttle a tad to let the car rotate. It's just how I like to drive. ?

At the end of the day, the fastest balancer setup is what you're most comfortable with. That's why I like to think there's no "best" setup.

I agree. it was what I enjoyed most about PT, it was balanced in that respect. 2 people in the same car, same upgrades but different balancers to suit their own style could post nearly identical times and have a heated race while driving in completely different driving styles. while yes that isn't very realistic... it made for a lot of fun.