What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Branded cars

Jack

Administrator
Staff member
As many of you are aware, half the cars are not currently available due to the need to licence said cars.

We have been in talks with a few car manufactures and while the cost % is not that bad (we actually budgeted for higher), the up front fees means we are unable to licence anything any time soon.

Nissan for example want $10,000 up front. (this is just one brand, how many we got? 6-7? That is $60-70k)
Even if we were to preorder cars at $5 each, that $5 has 30% taken by Steam leaving us with $3.50, then that is split 5050 with Invictus which means we are only left with $1.75.

We would have to preorder nearly 6000 cars of a single brand to pull this off.
Double the price to $10 per car, that is still 3000 cars.

If we were to pre-order cars via our own website, still looking at 5000 cars at $5.

Maybe if we had a much larger number of players, this would be doable. But at this time, licensing cars is off the table.
We will work on alternatives.

God, YES WHY DO I LICENSE THEM? I already wrote 2-3 times, this game does not need licensed cars. Nissan, first let's say 10k for the license, and after another 10k for allowing them to do tuning on their cars, and even if they find out that in the game they can destroy their cars against the wall, they will send a fuck. Please stop doing all sorts of nonsense, change a little externally licensed cars and give them invented names. You calmly, without asking anyone, you can do tuning, vinyls, and elementary, you can paint the car without asking the automaker, and even more so do not pay them, for this money. I repeat, to connect the game with a workshop, and people themselves will make cars for you a week. Licenses, absolutely useless investment of money.

We had 11 licensed brands on PT and Heat. If you were to make the GM cars one brand, then it would be about 9 brands.

Have you looked at Racedepartment, is there any allowance of adding new 'home-brew' cars to the game? Ones which do not require a license.

This has totally changed from the PT/LR/HO era which is a shame. It's affected every game series as companies look for more ways to make a profit. It's hard to even run cars without badges or fake names. If the profile and looks match too closely to some cars they can be claimed under patent/copyright. The 911 and Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing are two of the most famous examples. My favorite PT memories were with the 2000GT, it's my favorite car, but I doubt Toyota would ever allow it back in the game. Is there any way to buy GP or contribute outside of steam to help profit margins on your end? I'm ready by GP to help contribute. I bet I spent $1200 on more on cars back in the PT/LR/HO eras lol.

This has totally changed from the PT/LR/HO era which is a shame. It's affected every game series as companies look for more ways to make a profit. It's hard to even run cars without badges or fake names. If the profile and looks match too closely to some cars they can be claimed under patent/copyright. The 911 and Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing are two of the most famous examples. My favorite PT memories were with the 2000GT, it's my favorite car, but I doubt Toyota would ever allow it back in the game. Is there any way to buy GP or contribute outside of steam to help profit margins on your end? I'm ready by GP to help contribute. I bet I spent $1200 on more on cars back in the PT/LR/HO eras lol.

So what did it cost them back then?

A fortune I bet...

So what did it cost them back then?

A fortune I bet...

From what I remember with the old system Invictus held the licenses for the brands, and the game licensee could choose from the portfolio. There were exceptions based on region or PT/LR exclusivity, but it's been so long I honestly don't remember. Licenses are only good for so long so now Jack and the gang need to get new ones.

It's easy to return, we change the name to Yota Over9999GT and slightly change the appearance. On, ride.

I think since Project Torque is not a hardcore racing simulation, is doesn't really need licensed cars and brands. You should follow the GTA V approach and create cars whose design and names are based on real cars, but are different enough.

As i said earlier, if the mass of unlicensed cars are in-game, everybody should be satisfied, don´t step in any big and obvious finacial traps.
If you would do so, the game will get flooded with pay2win in the future and will ultimately fail once again, even if you promised it will never happen.
Hold the cost down and the fun up, leave yourself room to breath, timewise and finacially.

Cars must be fake in order to continue the game ... Just change the name and symbol for cars, as I saw that in many car games .... We don't want the mistake to happen again and the game closes. We want it for fun, not for profit!.

Last edited:
I have no problems with a Sabbaru or a Troiota, damn, even a Neesan onegai shimasu would work for me..
BTW sure the times have changed.. this clusterfuck of conglomerate corporate fucktards are killing the game industry...
Manufacturers asking for right fees when WE are the ones making pubblicity for them? We are working for them? And we have to pay for it?
So not only we are free labour, we also have to pay them.

Last edited:
I have no problems with a Sabbaru or a Troiota, damn, even a Neesan onegai shimasu would work for me..
BTW sure the times have changed.. this clusterfuck of conglomerate corporate fucktards are killing the game industry...
Manufacturers asking for right fees when WE are the ones making pubblicity for them? We are working for them? And we have to pay for it?
So not only we are free labour, we also have to pay them.
??? Troiota...(troiata) has a meaning in italian ????

You need to reduce your expenses ! make a separate launcher and opt out of the incentive ! In Project Torque and so people will come Making you yourself advertising on YouTube by shooting your video ! Find independent and cheaper servers ! And of course in game that any all??? need to something promoted ! And even those that are people will run away !!!