What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Branded cars

Invictus were able to afford licenses because they're an entire game studio. What we are doing is just publishing the game. I'm pretty sure you can see the difference between the two, no?
Post automatically merged:

Also did we even play the same game? I never saw any of the booster items with RP prices

Also did we even play the same game? I never saw any of the booster items with RP prices
Or maybe your pockets were so deep that you never cared? The 1.5x and 3x RP bonus consumables have always been RP items. In fact, these items were the thing that kept me playing, even when I didn't have any real money to buy 2xRP & 2xXP at a given moment. The only boosters that were GP only, were the girls and the 2xRP and 2xXP. The bonus multiplier items were RP items, they were affecting only the RP you got from doing clean sectors and perfect drifts, so basically if a normal perfect drift would give you 10 bonus RP, with these items you'd get respectively 15 RP or 30 RP. Since they affected only the bonus RP (the one you see on the screen to the right), they were RP items. One had to gather about 30,000 RP in order to get 100 pieces of these items but it was worthy.
Since these items were RP items, I don't see how having them will make the game pay to win, which is what you told one of my crewmates. The player will basically be paying RP to get RP items. And you call that "pay to win"? :ROFLMAO:

Never had deep pockets, still don't have deep pockets. The only time I ever put down any money in this franchise was in Level-R and that was for cars.
The bonus multiplier items, again, are fine. The rest are not. I don't know where you remember RP prices for those, but I never recall seeing any on them.

All that aside, this is completely off-topic to licensed cars. Those are returning anyway, so I don't know what the initial complaint was about.

this is completely off-topic to licensed cars
Yes and no. Jack was complaining about the inability to afford licensed car brands due to the lack of players. The reason is complex. It's a pity that 3 years later he still doesn't realize why he lost the players.

Even with the bigger playerbase of the first days we'd not be able to afford licenses.
Some companies might not even wanna license the cars at all either. Fictional versions of cars is the only way to go here

Yes and no. Jack was complaining about the inability to afford licensed car brands due to the lack of players. The reason is complex. It's a pity that 3 years later he still doesn't realize why he lost the players.
Rado/ Speeder... This was a salvage project for 1 developer to take on a whole games studios work. It's a nice bit of pocket money for 1 guy and a bunch of loyal fans to keep this once great title going but it will never go anywhere without the help of proffessionals , and lots of them.! ... This game will never be the success as it once was. I liken it to an old classic console game that once stole the heart of gamers worldwide. Sorry to say ladies and gents but this title is going no where fast in this modern age of gaming .

Even with the bigger playerbase of the first days we'd not be able to afford licenses.
Some companies might not even wanna license the cars at all either. Fictional versions of cars is the only way to go here
To me it doesn't matter if these cars are licensed or not. I've never liked them anyway (with the only exception of VW Nardo). Their physics programming was always too poor for my taste. There are far more important things than whether the cars are lincensed or not. Under Invictus' control this game was pretty much what Fascistbook is today - kind of a social media. It still can be that but it requires someone with more economical insight and less greed.

Those helpful items were all available for RP, so no, they were not pay to win items.

Invictus were able to afford licenses for cars solely on the income from PT. Because they had better idea how to keep the people playing and interested in the game which someone here doesn't. The little amount the game makes in terms of money is no way our fault. If you hadn't released it on Steam which take 30% of the income, you would be able to afford licenses and not to have to make every item for GP only (such as rims. None of the rims were ever GP only on PT!). One simple virtual server for the game updates to be downloaded would be enough and certainly wouldn't cost 30% of the total income to maintain it. The original PT was launched 2005 or 2006 (I joined it in late 2006), Steam was launched in 2003 and yet Invictus never released the game on Steam and maintained their own server all the time the game was alive. So it seems Invictus were smarter...

Actually, some of these iteams were CP only in some incarnations of PT. I do seem to remember that among others, the power boost items (spark plugs, special fuel etc) had been CP only for much of the lifetime of "Level R" (you could win them in solo missions as well, but not a lot of them, since you would get the reward for completing a mission only once). And of course there was this babe that granted a higher top speed, who, like the XP and RP babes, was strictly CP only, too. And I also remember some rims and other design items that were CP only there.

Speaking of the latter, why not. Let people pay for individual design, as long as it doesn't affect their chances to win the game. The former, otoh, huge problem. But not in today's PT, as the power enhancing items have all been removed from the game.

As for doublers - they are sometimes ifound n these boxes you find during your races. If you drive longer races, as opposed to the typical 1-2 lap vs races, then there is a fair chance you will get more of them for free than you will ever need.

As many of you are aware, half the cars are not currently available due to the need to licence said cars.

We have been in talks with a few car manufactures and while the cost % is not that bad (we actually budgeted for higher), the up front fees means we are unable to licence anything any time soon.

Nissan for example want $10,000 up front. (this is just one brand, how many we got? 6-7? That is $60-70k)
Even if we were to preorder cars at $5 each, that $5 has 30% taken by Steam leaving us with $3.50, then that is split 5050 with Invictus which means we are only left with $1.75.

We would have to preorder nearly 6000 cars of a single brand to pull this off.
Double the price to $10 per car, that is still 3000 cars.

If we were to pre-order cars via our own website, still looking at 5000 cars at $5.

Maybe if we had a much larger number of players, this would be doable. But at this time, licensing cars is off the table.
We will work on alternatives.

We're moreso focusing on the lower end cars because we are able to launch them.
Higher end cars might take a bit to come

Been a while since I could actually play because nobody is online in either region. And when they are it's passworded. My investment over the years was wasted on failure I guess.