What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Advanced Tuning Discussion

Trackah123

I was just thinking about something, and i knew there are already some topics going on like ideas for nitrous-systems etc.

It's been so long since i played this game, i can barely remember some aspects of the game, so i hope i won't say anything silly, but anyway.
There are already tuning options in this game, but they are mostly "fixed presets" and not always fully customizable
I know the game engine or physics engine is probably dated and limited in a technical way, but let's say in the very far future, a big IF, could this game technically have advanced "sim" tuning options like :

Engine :
- ECU Tuning and mapping (Visual Graph), Turbo / Supercharger pressure adjustment, or complete Engine Swaps

Wheels :
- Tyre type, Tyre pressure, Tyre Width, Camber angle, Toe in/out angle (in degrees)

Suspension :
- Ride Height, Spring Stiffness, Bump&Rebound Damping, Anti-Roll

Brakes :
- Brake Balance, Brake Power

Steering :
- Steering Angle Lock, Caster etc

Downforce :
- Amount of Downforce, rear wing angle or idk.

Gears :
- Final Drive, Manual Gear Ratio's (Visual Graph), LSD (Locked / Open Diff)

Last but not least, of course the server ability to allow / disallow custom tuning.
I just think this would be great for modes like Dragracing, Drifting, SimRacing,well i love tuning myself, i can endlessly tinker with settings till i fall asleep.

It's a nice idea, me personally i struggle with PT's tuning as it is. So unfortunately i would not like to see something like this in the game.

Well, i think it depends on how everything such as shop & garage would be redesigned (within the game-engine's capabilities of course and the current physics capabilities), like a complete overhaul of the parts, customization and tuning system.
Sure if you combine the current (old system of PT) and mix that with this idea from my first post, it might be messy and makes things too complicated or illogical.

One thing is tuning via performance parts, another is balancing or car setup as they call it in most adult race sims, which is changing existing grip/downforce etc from front to rear or vice versa,

For me, the ideal balancing aspect would be to have the front to back sliders for each aspect e.g. acceleration slider from A+ to T+ and not have to buy 4 of them separately.

I very much doubt tyre pressure or other advanced set up options can be built into this game and it is not really about being a race engineer - there are many sims that cater for that type of player already.

No way,PT has moderated realism in physics but its still a casual racer. Advanced settings could represent a big advantage over those who dont understand about tuning,not to mention the break of physics and balancing that surely would happen. Dont take it badly but game is not even running and so many people already suggesting crazy ideas like this... Please let's keep the game as it is.

As a Project Torque, and also a GT Sport player, i got used to wear the suit of the driver who is not a mechanic, but gives feedback to their team of what must be optimized in the car to handle as it need. So taking balancers and even upgrades (nobody is forced to use them fully, depending the purpose), in my "fantasy" there are a lot of tunning envolved to bring those changes.

Besides, programation wise, those cosmetic changes like wheel size, car height, offset, camber and such would maybe like blow the castle of cards that is the backbone programation of it.

No. No need, Stop copy like GT Sport, AC and LFS just shit.

PT is basic balance setup are cool enough for fun MMO Racing.
PT keep stay upgrade system.

Stop this an idea if want that go to play iRacing, Gran Turismo Sport and Live For Speed! :p

Well i just thought this idea might be interesting because PT has both casual arcade racing (which i understand you want to keep arcade simple and mostly untouched), but there is still also the "sim" racing part of PT. Anyway the reactions are mixed i see.

Well i just thought this idea might be interesting because PT has both casual arcade racing (which i understand you want to keep arcade simple and mostly untouched), but there is still also the "sim" racing part of PT. Anyway the reactions are mixed i see.
The beauty of this game is you can just jump in and drive without tinkering with a million settings. Easy stress relief and instant gratification.

I would agree with the ability to change gear ratio ONLY, because it would make sense for game modes like drag and for short circuit races where acceleration is needed over top speed.
Ride height as a aesthetic point of view would be nice as long at it does not mess with physics.
All the other stuff you see in advanced racing games is to avoid.

I would agree with the ability to change gear ratio ONLY, because it would make sense for game modes like drag and for short circuit races where acceleration is needed over top speed.
Ride height as a aesthetic point of view would be nice as long at it does not mess with physics.

What about a wheel camber setting for drift-mode (that is only visually, not messing with the physics)?

We already have acceleration balancers and ride height changes with suspension tuning and body parts.

We already have acceleration balancers and ride height changes with suspension tuning and body parts.
That is completely different things that i've said, acceleration balancer does not allow you to make 1st gear lower or longer.

No. No need, Stop copy like GT Sport, AC and LFS just shit.

PT is basic balance setup are cool enough for fun MMO Racing.
PT keep stay upgrade system.

Stop this an idea if want that go to play iRacing, Gran Turismo Sport and Live For Speed! :p
I completely agree with you

What about a wheel camber setting for drift-mode (that is only visually, not messing with the physics)?
I'm totally ok with suspension aesthetics ajusts,as long it doesnt affect physics. Rims and tire sizes,width,ride height,camber,wheel track... For visual pruposes they are very welcome.