What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Why are class 1 cars so unbalanced?

Lale-17

As the title.
I drive a Kawana 660.
I have played this game before, it was called like here project torque, I have played it when it was called Level-R, I have played it when it was called "Heat". So this is my 4th time now.
Never ever was it simply impossible to win a race with a kawana against the sedan. Yes it was always the hardest car to master, but never as penalized as it is here.
The Lion seems to have more acceleration, more top speed and even better handling than any of the others. Thats a shame because that means that everybody needs to pick the lion just to be on par.
Whats the point to have 4 cars when you can win a race only with 1 ?
It's not the kawana has changed it feels as I remember it, but the other cars are all faster and I cannot explain this.
So what can I expect here? Are you still tweaking the cars? Are they going to stay like this?
It's not a problem for me, I can do a new account and start all over with the lion, but it would be very sad if it stays like this.
(Oh and I am waiting for the L2D comments... :rolleyes:)

Balancers have a lot to do with performance and winning . I personally would like to see the balancers scrapped and we all drive a car that is the same stats as everyone else, that way we are all on a level playing field.

we all drive a car that is the same stats as everyone else, that way we are all on a level playing field.

There's thunder alley for that

I simply say that the cars performance must be near together, if one car is slightly faster than the others or accelerates more than the others or is better in curves than
the others is perfectly fine.
What is not ok is that a car has much more acceleration AND more top speed so that it is impossible to win on 95% of tracks.
Just to have a chance I got the max acceleration balancer always on but still I am not nearly as fast in acceleration as the lion.

The Wizz is 3 to 4 seconds faster than any other class 1 car at Wangan .
It never occured to me seeing a wizz in wangan yet, but if it is so, than that needs to be balanced a little better. If it is a 1 second faster, in non ghost races it should be possible to beat it. 3 or 4 seconds nearly impossible.

As far as i remember this, the Kawana was always the weakest car in class one but at some point they fixed it somehow. I dont know if they pushed the Kawana a little bit or slowed the others down but at some point in the past the Kawana was almost even with the other class one cars.
The next thing is that not everyone is a pro driver or has the gear to drive faster but with a little bit of practice every car can be fast ;)

As far as i remember this, the Kawana was always the weakest car in class one but at some point they fixed it somehow. I dont know if they pushed the Kawana a little bit or slowed the others down but at some point in the past the Kawana was almost even with the other class one cars.
The next thing is that not everyone is a pro driver or has the gear to drive faster but with a little bit of practice every car can be fast ;)
Thats the point. The Kawana is castrated. You must be a good driver and your opponent must be one of those drivers who crash in the same corner even after the 10 th lap, then you can have a chance. It is not possible that I make a lap as fast as possible without hitting anywhere and other drivers hit constantly and are 2 seconds faster.

I made a test tonight. I installed PT on another computer, sat my gf who has never ever played PT before, she got the lion, i stripped all of the upgrades of my kawana.
We choose an easy track, two straights and 2 two curves in the canals (can't remember the name right now) 20 laps. After 10 laps she was 2 seconds faster than me. Her track record was 47.xxx where as I couldn't go below 50 seconds. That is too big of a diffrence.

Actually on a tight and twisty track with next to no straights the kawana will win most of the time. Its whole thing is tight small low speed corners. That is where it stomps on every car. Also the weakest class 1 is the Corus. For reference I did a video on this very subject.

Actually on a tight and twisty track with next to no straights the kawana will win most of the time. Its whole thing is tight small low speed corners. That is where it stomps on every car. Also the weakest class 1 is the Corus. For reference I did a video on this very subject.
Have you done a video on class 2 cars particularly the Quadro ?

Thank you very much for this input.
I want to ask what point is there if you can't win on 90% of the tracks ?
be it the corus or the Kawana. As you can see in the video a good lion driver can win against a mediocre wizz driver. The other 2 cars coundn't win even if jesus christ himself was driving. 3 seconds a lap of diffrence in a GAME? The kawana can win in all curves track? So it is a drift car but this is no excuse for those poor who choose corus, is it ?

I have to say that i chose the Kawana back in Level R as my starter and i did that again here in PT. I dont regret that i picked the Kawana because i like that car a lot and its fun to drive but thats just my opinion.
Back in Level R i had all of the rp cars and some of the licensed ones so i could say that i have a bit of experience ;)
I also have a Corus by now and a Lion (that i rarely drive) Wizz is coming next, and i think that you may be right that Kawana and Corus are slow.
Thing is that you can win with every car if you know what you are doing, what your car can do and depends on the track you are racing on. You will never be able to win every single race because there is always someone who is faster :)
Other thing i forgot is the gamemode you are playing and i have a feeling that we are talking arcade here.
In arcade is no real ... no, real is the wrong word here, fair fits better .... fair racing possible because of all the extras you have and with this rubberband effect. Dont get me wrong, i drive arcade too but i am not serious in that mode. For me its sim cause its more of a challange of skill and not some helpers that boost you if you fall too far behind.

So, long speech short sense, as far as i can tell its not just the cars its rather the gamemode you play.

I have to say that i chose the Kawana back in Level R as my starter and i did that again here in PT. I dont regret that i picked the Kawana because i like that car a lot and its fun to drive but thats just my opinion.
Back in Level R i had all of the rp cars and some of the licensed ones so i could say that i have a bit of experience ;)
I also have a Corus by now and a Lion (that i rarely drive) Wizz is coming next, and i think that you may be right that Kawana and Corus are slow.
Thing is that you can win with every car if you know what you are doing, what your car can do and depends on the track you are racing on. You will never be able to win every single race because there is always someone who is faster :)
Other thing i forgot is the gamemode you are playing and i have a feeling that we are talking arcade here.
In arcade is no real ... no, real is the wrong word here, fair fits better .... fair racing possible because of all the extras you have and with this rubberband effect. Dont get me wrong, i drive arcade too but i am not serious in that mode. For me its sim cause its more of a challange of skill and not some helpers that boost you if you fall too far behind.

So, long speech short sense, as far as i can tell its not just the cars its rather the gamemode you play.
You must be german... anyway, maybe it's the game mode, i haven't tried sim on here yet, but I clearly remember that back in level-r for example every car had a chance to win thanks to it's strenght and the way you could drive it.
Ah and don't get me wrong, I really enjoy driving the kawana. The thing that bothers me is that I could even make a perfect race for example on the race track of the video posted above and still be in the last positions while others hitting walls be still in first positions. That's all.
Anyway, I think I'll just turn to TA and forget class 1 alltogether :)

the way the class is balanced now, different tracks cater to different cars, much like in real life. there is no such thin in real life or the game as a car that wins on all tracks or hell even most tracks. I've seen very good wizz and kawana drivers out pace me on tracks they should have no chance on because the driver knew how to get the most out of the vehicle or I just had a bad race and made mistakes. The Kawana is a bit harder to master than the wizz and lion, however in the hands of someone who can pull out the cars potential it can be damn quick. the only car that is really a instant lose car in class 1 is the corus. and it wasn't always this way. in Heat Online they had added the stage 5 upgrades which balanced it out better and made slight adjustments to the other cars. Jack doesn't want to add in stage 5 upgrades. idk why but he just really wants to avoid it at all costs for some reason. He does intend, in the future once the game is in a more stable state looking into tweaking the numbers on things and fixing things like the corus being complete garbage etc. Atm though this isn't a priority. There are a lot more things that need attention first like log in issues etc.

I do not have a video on class 2 yet. I will be doing one in the future though.

Uhm, I don't know how to put this feeling in words, but it couuuuuuuuld be that the upgrades I bought for the kawana weren't actually "activated" for some reason and so that could be the reason for my diasappointment. Not that it is a Porsche 935 now, nor that the others are slower now, but in the event of a perfect race I see possibility to win now, which I didn't see before.
Anyway just thanks everybody for trying to help.

Yes this might be it. If you go to your garage you can activate or deactivate an upgrade by clicking on it. Activated upgrades will be in orange color. Make sure your upgrades are activated at the highest stage.

The thing is on this Forum you try to help people and you get your ass torn out if it's slighty wrong or not technically correct.... But yeah you need to make sure your upgrades are selected/applied.

Balancers have a lot to do with performance and winning . I personally would like to see the balancers scrapped and we all drive a car that is the same stats as everyone else, that way we are all on a level playing field.
But racing is all about proper setup for a winning combination. I can pass lots of tier 2 cars properly set up! You DO have to make sure selected upgrades are lit up ORANGE to use them. Or they are just turned off, which you should cheak every time you log in to be sure of. Some updates turn those off. When your setup is right ALL CARS CAN WIN!

When I played back in Aeria era, the Kawana started off disappointingly slow, same here. It needs the upgrades (but so do all the cars) and mostly you need to learn it and get the tuning and balancing just right. You can equally well argue that the Corall Spire (and for the life of me I can't remember which real-life car that is) is ridiculously slow in class 2: it only goes about 200km/h flat out, where the hexan say when upgraded can hit 280, but try driving the hexan on for example B road rally and the spire will run rings around it. Different cars for different jobs. The heavy powerful cars excel on long fast tracks like city tour, whereas the light nimble ones are good on tight twisty tracks and city tracks. That's kinda the point.

^yep except the hexan and corus are the respective dunce car in their class. unless the corus is maxed out and against all the other cars stock and stands next to no chance at winning unless the other drivers are the worst drivers ever. and the same story for the hexan. it lacks the top speed of the quadro to match it in straights and it lacks the nimbleness of the spire to handle turns so while the spire and quadro will be neck and neck on a mixed track like say bullfrog on cali raceway, the hexan just gets completely smoked by both of them. so there is some re-balancing needed this is true. However its not the whole class just a specific car really that has no place atm.