What's new
Project Torque Community Forums

Welcome to the ProjectTorque forum! You will need to register an account here to play the game. Click the register button and sign in with Steam. Use a legitimate email as this is used for account recovery if you forget your password. We will never spam you or sell your user data!

Game crash on startup

Dezent

As the title says, whenever I press Play on Steam, the PT splash icon comes up, the game window opens, but it stays black and closes down almost immediately. So far, I've tried:

-uninstalling and reinstalling the game three times, to three different drives (256GB HDD, 3TB HDD, 256GB SSD). File verification says everything is OK.
-Reinstalled / repaired VC redistributables. (2008, what the Win Event Viewer pointed to)
-Disabled Windows Defender.
-running as admin / in compatibility mode (XP SP3, Vista, 7)
-updating GPU drivers to latest official one (19.9.2)

I'm running on Windows 10 Pro, 1809 update, specs are i5-4690k, RX 480 8GB, 16GB of DDR3. Monitor resolutions are 1920x1080 (primary) and 1920x1200. (secondary). Attached files are the log files the game generates + Windows Event Viewer files.

Attachments

• 191001_131941.log
    1.8 KB · Views: 21
  • mmc_2019-10-01_13-20-41.png
    mmc_2019-10-01_13-20-41.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 34
Already tried that, tried again now, no dice. I don't have any 3rd party anti-virus, apart from MBAM, which doesn't launch on startup, and doesn't scan any files automatically.

Already tried that, tried again now, no dice. I don't have any 3rd party anti-virus, apart from MBAM, which doesn't launch on startup, and doesn't scan any files automatically.
Try running the game as admin from the game folder Also disable any game overlay programs it you have any (fraps, benchmark programs, gpu overclock software) also check if the game runs with only one screen.

Running as admin, no dice. Disabled MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner Statistics Server, no dice. Yanked the cable out of monitors and tried both, no dice. Tried everything at once, no dice.

It's a wild suggestion, but you could try launch with compatibility winXP or WinVista.
Don't ask why i suggest it, but why not to try :)

P.S. Did you installed everything that game offered to install? And are all your drivers up to date?

I have already tried compatibility modes. None didn't work. Game didn't offer anything to install. Drivers are up to date.

ok here is a thought... you need to update windows. current windows 10 build for me is 1903 you are on 1809. Try updating windows.

Updating to W10 Build 1903 is something you can try as mentioned above.

Looking at the logfile (Access folder "d" FAILED! / INVALID ENVIROMENT! / Invalid Resource ID) , it seems like it has trouble accessing the files for some reason, this could be related to drive file and folder related security permissions in windows, andcan be because of different reasons like 3rd party software blocking it, a virus, or corrupted windows installation and registry issues.

Did you try a clean boot with "msconfig.exe" ?

- Open your windows task manager (startup tab) and disable everything.
- right click start button -> run -> type "msconfig" -> in the services tab first click (hide all microsoft services) -> then disable everything you see

Apply and reboot, try game again.

I'm having the exact same issue as well, I've tried all of the above solutions to no avail. Hopefully this can get resolved

Attachments

• 191002_102513.log
    1.8 KB · Views: 13
Updated to 1903, didn't help. (had to use DDU to remove GPU drivers and reinstall latest official on top of it). Disabled any and all additional services except Microsofts own, didn't also help. I also tried using chkdsk /f to see if there was anything wrong, didn't help either. Curiously, I installed it on my laptop (i7-7700HQ, 1050 4GB, 8GB DDR4), and it launched no problem in there. Although, I don't think (emphasis on "think", might've just not seen it) I ever saw it doing the first time setup on my main computer, but it did on the laptop... It also had the same things in the logfile as before, even the "access folder "d" failed" part. For reference, I've attached it here.

Attachments

• 191002_234951.log
    55.8 KB · Views: 7
If you don't think it did first-time setup on the desktop, try reinstalling the game to make it run through first-time setup. Although really, that's just installing the DirectX and Visual C++ redistributables you likely already have.

Also, was the laptop on the same network as your desktop?

Laptop was on the same network. I've reinstalled the game like 4 times now, to 3 different drives, and it hasn't helped.

Ok so i been comparing the logfiles , there is 1 thing different between the log of the game that works fine, and a log of the game that doesn't start at all.

"Input device 2 = T. (caps = 00000005)" (this line doesn't seem to appear in the log of a game that works fine, it's only the last line of a failed gamelog)

I honestly don't know what it means, "T." = true? "caps" = capacities? , "00000005" = some kind of status code? maybe a Developer can shed some light on this?
In Windows terms "Error code 0x00000005. This is access denied error ".

Maybe try opening command prompt as Administrator and "sfc /scannow" ? at this point it's kinda just wild guessing.

Hello there, try setting both screen resolutions to 1920*1080 as it can be messing up with the game.
Also if it goes black again, try opening it from the task bar icon and if error sounds come up, keep clicking the icon and pressing enter key.

Once again, uninstalled and reinstalled, this time, to C: drive. Setting both monitors to run at 1920x1080 didn't help. sfc scannow found some errors, fixed them but it didn't help the case. Interestingly, though, White Charisma gets "Input device 2 = T. (caps = 00000005)" as error message in their log file, while I get "Input device 2 = C. (caps = 00000105)" and 105 seems to point to "incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry". Also, Steam does download the Common Redistributables, worth 9.2MB, but I have no idea where they're saved. If I knew what files PT installs in the first time setup, I could probably try installing them manually.

Once again, uninstalled and reinstalled, this time, to C: drive. Setting both monitors to run at 1920x1080 didn't help. sfc scannow found some errors, fixed them but it didn't help the case. Interestingly, though, White Charisma gets "Input device 2 = T. (caps = 00000005)" as error message in their log file, while I get "Input device 2 = C. (caps = 00000105)" and 105 seems to point to "incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry". Also, Steam does download the Common Redistributables, worth 9.2MB, but I have no idea where they're saved. If I knew what files PT installs in the first time setup, I could probably try installing them manually.
Try booting up with Safe Mode to see how it goes..
  1. Click Windows-button → On/Off.
  2. Hold down the Shift key and click Restart.
  3. Click the option Troubleshoot and then Advanced options.

windows8_1_troubleshoot_advanced-option_en.jpg
  4. Afterwards go to “Advanced options” and click Start-up Settings.

windows8_1_start-up_Settings_en.jpg
  5. Under “Start-up Settings” click Restart.

restart.jpg
  6. Several boot option are displayed.

The relevant options for booting in Safe Mode are the numbers 4,5 or 6.
    Select an option by pressing one of the numbers or function keys F4, F5 or F6

windows8_1_enable-safe-mode_startup-settings.jpg

4) Enable Safe Mode
    In this mode, the operating system is started with the bare minimum of installed drivers and only the main Windows functions are used.

5) Enable Safe Mode with Networking
    In this mode, also the network drivers are started.

Steam does download the Common Redistributables, worth 9.2MB, but I have no idea where they're saved.

Default Location = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist"

Safe mode was no-go. Although, then the game resolution defaulted to 1920x1080, instead of 1024x768 and there was no "Input Device" in the end of the log. And the only folder that was modified when I checked the CommonRedist folder was VCRedist 2008, which I uninstalled and reinstalled, didn't work either.

EDIT 15:26: Something funky is definitely going on with PT. I have an old Heat Online build on my hard drive, I renamed its Heat.bin file to Heat.bin.exe instead, dropped a replay I had from Level R days, and Heat Online booted up with absolutely no problems.

Last edited:
I uninstalled & reinstalled the Common Redistributables, tried reinstalling multiple times just like Dezent but I'm also still not getting it to start. I unfortunately don't have an old build to try out but on this exact computer Heat Online worked flawlessly in the past (I'm due for a new build lol).